PDA

View Full Version : House of Blues, Los Angeles - 7.24.03 !!!

ChiefCrowe
07-25-2003, 01:40 PM
House of Blues, Los Angeles - 7.24.03

here's the set as i remembered it, its not in exact order:

Angelyne
Stumbling Though the Dark
What Led Me to this Town
Take me With You (when you go)
Eyes of Sarahjane (with Chris Stills on guitar/backup vocals)
I'd Run Away
Settled Down Like Rain
Lost my Driving Wheel
Don't Let the World Get in Your Way
Expecting to Fly (Buffalo Springfield cover)
A Break in the Clouds (with Carla Werner singing backup)
Somewhere in Ohio
16 Down
Trouble
Save it For A Rainy Day
Ain't No End

Encore:

Waiting for the Sun (Gary solo acoustic)
All the Right Reasons (with the Thorns and Chris Stills)
Madman (with the Thorns and Chris Stills)
Blue (with the Thorns and Chris Stills)
Tailspin > country jam (with the Thorns and Chris Stills)

The HOB was pretty packed for the Thorns who played a high energy opening set; they seemed to be having a lot of fun on this tour. I didn't realize that the Thorns would be playing on so much of the Jayhawks' set, which was great because it gave them a fuller sound. On many of the songs there would be an extra guitar, acoustic guitar, piano and even banjo! It kind of reminded me of the Smog, the way everyone was switching instruments around.
I really dig Stephen McCarthy, his playing adds a lot to the sound of the band. The pedal steel on many of the numbers adds an ethereal sound to the songs, i really loved that! He got some great pedal steel solos on Ain't no End and Tailspin among others.

Some of the highlights: Ain't No End was played just beautifully, 16 Down which is somewhat of a rarity (it featured the flying V and a lot of distortion and psychedelic overtones). Expecting to Fly which was covered very well, I had never heard that one before, and it was appropriate since Neil is in town this week. Take Me with You (with some tasty pedal steel), Madman with the Thorns, which had a very full sound. They had only rehearsed it once apparently and one of the Thorns was asking for the lyric sheets!!
Before the encore Gary said we'll see you again in 4 years.. no wait, that's if we wanted to cash in!

Tailspin was great as well, with the Thorns because at the end Gary took off onto the floor and played a little bit and then went back as the band played a country jam and Thorns thanked the Jayhawks for a great show.
Everyone in the band sounded great; and now that they added pedal steel and banjo it sounds more like a country band again!

Can't wait to see them again on Saturday!

NY Fan
07-25-2003, 02:26 PM
I hope somebody snapped a photo of Gary with the Flying V...

(I knew they'd start playing Sarah Jane later in the tour! Wish they would do another NYC show when they come in for Conan...)

-- GM

ChiefCrowe
07-25-2003, 02:43 PM
actually i didnt see anyone taking photos. maybe because they searched everyone before the show...

hopefully someone managed to tape it though!!!

wheelhousetunes
07-25-2003, 02:54 PM
Wow, you got 16 Down. That was the only thing missing from our Seattle show a week ago! But, Madman was worth it. So that looks like the 2nd time they've played it. We got it up here. Sounds like a great show. Thanks for the review!

Peace-
Jeff

frank rhoades
07-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Chief sounds like a great show.How did you like Neil Wed. night?I had Neil and the Hawks crankin on the car,didnt get to meet,maybe we'll see you at the show Saturday night.I'll be proudly wearing my smile tour tee-shirt,wish I could get the wife to wear hers,thats another story.Peace ya all...........

ChiefCrowe
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Neil ROCKED! i loved the show.. first time seeing him. AND he played Cortez the Killer!! there were a ton of people there so thats probably why i didnt find you.. i'll look for you on saturday. ill probably wear a black crowes shirt

Originally posted by frank rhoades
Chief sounds like a great show.How did you like Neil Wed. night?I had Neil and the Hawks crankin on the car,didnt get to meet,maybe we'll see you at the show Saturday night.I'll be proudly wearing my smile tour tee-shirt,wish I could get the wife to wear hers,thats another story.Peace ya all...........