PDA

View Full Version : Chapel Hill, NC. 4-4-08

Fisheye
04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I've been listening to Vagabonds rather consistently since Feb. 19th, but my 4 hour trek up to Chapel Hill was its first test as a road trip album. It passes! I've really been enjoying Vagabonds, but driving through South and North Carolina, in a lot of rain, while listening to this album was amazing. This is where the album crossed over from 'very good' to 'very important.' It just spoke to me, I guess is what I am saying. All this before I even got to the venue!

I actually picked a friend up in Raleigh before driving over to Chapel Hill. She is a recent convert to Gary's music and she really enjoyed the show. The venue, Cat's Cradle, was nice. Not too small and not too big, well, kind of big compared to where I usually hang out, but it was good. Crowd attendance was about 175. I was sad to see that; thought that was pretty low. We ate in Raleigh and I saw quite a bit of press for the show so that is also why I thought the turn out was bad. The weather was not great either and so that could have been part of it. The demographics were cool. Vetiver had family there, and I think that explained the three or four very small children I saw running around. A few folks in their 20's. And then all ages right up to the senior citizens I read about in another thread. :)

I enjoyed Vetiver. I had some problems digging their first couple of tunes, but then kind of got into them. They had a pretty somber tone set in the place when Gary came out and started rocking it right away with Omaha Nights and I'd Run Away.

I am a bad reviewer because I do not have a setlist. But, go look at the other threads and that is pretty much it. Some notable differences: We didn't get Settled Down Like Rain, nor Until You Came Along. We did get Angelyne and I'm Gonna Make you Love Me. We also got Spirit in the Sky (a Vetiver guy took the lead vocal on that, but Gary loved getting in there on the "got a friend in Jesus." part.) That was really fun! It came right before everything ended with Blue.

I love Black Grass. Album or live, it ranks up there with Trouble, in my opinion. For me, Trouble had always been my favorite Jayhawks song, so that is saying something.

Gary sounded great and was in fine form. He cut fool with the crowd and Vetiver quite a bit, which got a lot of laughs and made a super night even better, if possible. I really enjoyed when it was just him and his acoustic and a song. Great show!

I talked to Gary very briefly after the show. I had never "met" him before. He was very kind and made fun (in a good way) of a slip up or something about how I talk (I have that southern speech thing, so I am told). I bought a t-shirt, but they were sold out of the guys' version so I got the more girly of the two styles of shirts.

This has got to be the most I have ever typed on here at once, or even in all my psots combined. A writer I am not

Oh, the quality kinda sucks, but this is a video of I'd Run Away that I took. I may be able to get a few more of better quality when I have time to screw with it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlTImlInnzM

Later

Calexico
04-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Another good review, well done Fishy. I hope the girly t-shirt wears well.:p

On a side note, I love the name Chapel Hill. Every time I hear it visions of the Andy Griffith Show run through my head. Mayberry, was that the name of the town? Anyway, It most certainly isn't like that but in my head...it is.

illbecominhome
04-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Great review Mike! About the low turnout... not a very good idea to schedule a show in Chapel Hill while North Carolina was playing the Final Four I guess... (congrats KU97 ;))

Haggischomper
04-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Spirit in the Sky! That sounds like a hoot!

Thanks Mike!

Fisheye
04-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks Mike!

It was!! Great fun. The audience really enjoyed it, but Vetiver and Gary and Eric all seemed to have even more fun with it. Gary rocked with it too.... so under appreciated in so many ways, including his guitar skills.

Marshall91
04-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope somebody taped the show - I'd love to hear Spirit in the Sky!

Fisheye
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I hope the girly t-shirt wears well.:p

It does, it really matches my shoes.... oh, umm, oops.... nevermind.:D :rolleyes:

And Marshall91, I am not sure if someone taped the show or not. My little digital camera that I recorded a few songs with was dead by the end of the show when they did Spirit in the Sky, so I did not get it.

altmin
04-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I hope somebody taped the show - I'd love to hear Spirit in the Sky!

I encouraged y friends who were able to go to tape it, of course none of them have equipment but...

Fisheye
04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Here's Sound of Lies from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvG4lcEbSpY

It is not great, but it the sound is a little better than the video I posted above for I'd Run Away.

JoMama
04-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks Mike!

How ironic, that song is on Tom Petty's Greatest Hits along with his cover of Waiting For The Sun (with new lyrics...):rolleyes:

Haggischomper
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Spirit In the Sky? No it ain't - yer thinking of Something In The Air. (Thunderclap Newman??)

Truscott
04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Very nice, Fish, thank you!

Fisheye
04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Here is my last video from the show. It is DC Blues. I ended up with I'd Run Away, Sound of Lies and DC Blues. I wanted to get more of his Vagabonds material, but Black Grass, True Blue and SOCMOS (the other three songs I recorded) just did not turn out worth posting (the ones I have posted are only barely postable (yeah, that's not a word)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QunOfRkPkY

JoMama
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Spirit In the Sky? No it ain't - yer thinking of Something In The Air. (Thunderclap Newman??)

Oops, you're right there Mr. Haggis.:o