Every Word
To Die a Happy Man
She's Only Calls me on Sundays
Three too Many
Sound of Lies
Waiting for the Sun
Everybody Gets By
DC Blues
Save it for a Rainy Day (with Stephen McCarthy)
Black Grass
I Wanna Get High
Tailspin
Encore:
Listen Joe (solo)
Settled Down Like Rain (solo)
Angelyne (solo)
Vagabonds
Blue

I got a setlist and on it, but not played Everybody Knows, Easy Ride and Until You Came Along..

Hi everyone! This is going to be long, I posted the setlist first, so anyone can just ignore the rest, it's part review, mostly travelogue. We just had a really great whirlwind trip of 2 days. Arrived at Dulles around 10 Thurs morning, got our rental, and drove to Falls Church. We wanted to check out the State Theater so we drove down there, it was just about 4-5 blocks from our motel. It's looks very rundown from the outside, it's an old theater, built in 1935, but the inside has been redone. There are 3 levels, standing room in front of the stage, then a few steps up another level with all tables and then another level with tables also. Then there's a balcony, don't know how many seats are there. I think in that seating/standing configuration it holds about 850 or so. So we got down there and met an older gentlemen who was trying the doors (they weren't open), he told us his son was playing there tonight. I asked who his son was and he told me Andy Cabic (lead singer of Vetiver), so we talked quite a bit and then he called Andy on his cell to see where they were because he wanted to meet up with him. I didn't get exactly where he lives, but not that far and he took the train there. The bus had just gotten into Falls Church, so he took off looking for them, but he took our names to tell Gary we were there. Jerry and I decided to eat lunch since we'd been up since 3am and we were hungry.

Checked into the motel, took a little nap, got ready for the show. It had rained that afternoon and it was still raining, miserable and cold. We waited outside with a group of others till it opened, got our table and picked up our all access passes (Thanks Gary and Sandy!). Had a nice dinner, and at 8:30 the first artist started. Her name is Chelsea Lee, a 16 yr. old from the area. Just her singing with a guitarist, she's got an incredible voice for one that young and she writes a lot of her songs too. Funny story, halfway through her set, she said I've got a bad cold and I have to blow my nose, so she disappears offstage for a minute! First time I've ever seen that happen before! Kind of funny. She played for not quite 30 min. Then Vetiver took the stage about 9:15, played until 9:50. Between sets Jerry and I each bought a shirt, we each got a different style. Talked to the merch girl, who we met at the Metro last week, she's traveling with the band, girlfriend of one of the Vetiver guys. What a life, huh!! :D

Around 10:15, Gary and Vetiver came out and then played until a couple minutes before midnight. Gary mentioned that he knew a lot of people had taken the Metro train there and it closes at midnight on weeknights, so he was going to hurry things up, it might be the reason he cut off some songs.
I'm becoming a fan of Vetiver's music! Really enjoyed their set again, I like their mellow vibes. Gary is of course incredible :) and Vetiver is accompanying him just great. Their harmonies are even better than last week and they seemed very tight as a band now, too bad there were only 2 more shows to go. And then there's Eric Heywood, what can you say about him that hasn't already been said, just a great pedal steel player, and he also plays another instrument, mandolin maybe? I'm not that up on my musical instruments, I only know what I like and what sounds good to me! ;) It was nice to see Stephen McCarthy again, but was surprised he didn't play on more than SIFARD. One song and he was gone!

So, after the show I know we could have gone to the dressing room, but it you had to go outside the building to another door, up a bunch of stairs, so we waited a bit and Gary came out so he's the only one we talked to, but the only guy we wanted to visit with anyway, well, maybe Stephen, but Gary said he left right away. I don't think Gary ever made up to the merch table, we just stayed in the theater, Jerry and I and 3 other guys, we all talked to him for almost 30 min. Got our CD's signed, pictures were taken. Jerry got his pic with Gary this time; I don't think I can improve on the one I have as an avatar, so best to quit while I'm ahead.

Yes, Gary is going to Europe, no band though, not sure if solo or with maybe Jim Boquist. Just too expensive for a band. I also asked about a west coast tour, he said it would be the same, solo or with another guy.

About the crowd there, a guy I was talking to during the show said he would estimate about 300 to 400 people, maybe half full. They were enthusiastic how ever many there were. Gary was pleased with the turnout, he said it wasn't filled, but he was happy with it. I know all the tables were filled and a few people in the balcony, then some on the floor. Oh, yeah, that's where we went before Gary came on, right in front. We had stayed at the table through the first two sets, but I was rested enough to stand for the main act!!

About Mark and Gary, no label yet, might be Hacktone, not sure. There will be a tour then.

Oh, and finally, I got to meet Mosby! Remember him? He said he doesn't post much anymore, but he was there with his very nice wife. Of course I met Dedalus too, he's from London, in DC on business. Very nice guy! Really, anyone I've ever met on this board has been great. It's an honor to be here with so many great people. Oh, and Gary did mention our favorite troll here, not really in a bad way, he appreciates and understands everyones views/opinions, even if he doesn't agree with some of them.. Thank you Gary for taking the time to meet with everyone. I'm sure you'd like to relax after the show and then get ready to take off to the next stop, but you still come and talk with the fans. We appreciate and love you for that! :)

Lastly, Gary's mom, if you're reading this, you raised a great son, artist, and more importantly, a great person. I'm sure you are very proud.

So to put an end to this novel, yesterday we had planned on doing some sightseeing in the area, but the weather forecast was for rain (which never happened), so we stayed around Falls Church, visited the original Falls Church that the town was named for, I guess Geo. Washington visited there, but he must have gone to every church and town in the area! It was pretty and had a small graveyard of really old stones, we're interested in the Civil War and history, so it was up our alley as they say. Ate a lot, drank a lot of lattes and just had a very nice trip, spent a lot of money, but you can't take it with you, so have a good time while you're here I say! We'd travel to another show if we get the chance I know that, so worth it!

Sorry I posted so much, it you got this far, congratulations to you! ;)

Calexico
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Brilliant, just about the best review of a show here I have read. Joyce, you and Jerry are real troopers. Up at 3 am and travelling. If I had a hat on I would raise it to you both!:)

JoMama
04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Brilliant, just about the best review of a show here I have read. Joyce, you and Jerry are real troopers. Up at 3 am and travelling. If I had a hat on I would raise it to you both!:)

+1
Thanks Joyce, that was a delight to read. I can't believe it's almost over already, this short tour.
If I win the Powerball, I'll help them go to Europe and the West Coast...:)

illbecominhome
04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
+1
Thanks Joyce, that was a delight to read.

+2. Awesome reading, thanks Joyce and congrats to you and Jerry!

jacieb
04-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the review. Not too long at all. Thanks for asking about the West Coast! Thrilled you did this.

So glad you had fun (and all access)! It was so glad to meet you and so many others from the board. You're so right! In general, Jayhawks fans are good people.

girl incognito1
04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the review. Not too long at all. Thanks for asking about the West Coast! Thrilled you did this.

So glad you had fun (and all access)! It was so glad to meet you and so many others from the board. You're so right! In general, Jayhawks fans are good people.

Aww you too Jacki!!!! Thanks Joyce for a sweet and heartfelt review. You are one of the sweetest people on these boards and I'm proud to call you a dear friend. Gary, you are sweet too!!!! I'm so glad to hear that you had such a great time rocking each and every place you played during this tour. Keep on rockin!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :) :D

JoMama
04-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Such nice reviews, here it is, April 5, nearly midnight and Gary's short tour with Vetiver has come to its conclusion. Wow, I hope Gary got his wish and there's good footage of this short, sweet tour.
Thanks all you folks who went the extra mile with your taping and video!:)

Rolling Thunder
04-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Lastly, Gary's mom, if you're reading this, you raised a great son, artist, and more importantly, a great person. I'm sure you are very proud.

I really thought you were Gary's mom! It was one reason I never posted as crowsghost again after I offended you one time.... Didn't they used to call you Gary's mom on this board?

Icehaid
04-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Nice Joyce. Very nice. :)

BTW, did Stephen bring his red tele?

Haggischomper
04-06-2008, 08:15 AM
I think Joyce ought to start a thread that collects together all her posts of concert reviews/travelogues! I always enjoy them.

jcarlile
04-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Nice Joyce. Very nice. :)

BTW, did Stephen bring his red tele?

Hey Ed, here's a pic of Stephen w/guitar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcarlile/2392687462/

My pics aren't very good, but I'll upload the rest later....:)

Fisheye
04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Joyce,

Awesome review! Thanks!

jcarlile
04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Here's a link to the few pictures I took at the show:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563015154NuMcyi

jcarlile
04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Joyce,

Awesome review! Thanks!

Thanks Fisheye, I loved reading your review also! Good times! :)

LildeviladyK
04-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Joyce posted this review at Gary's message board as well.

I also posted over there after her review that I received an email from Shawnte' on Friday stating that Hacktone/Ryko "ARE backing "Ready For The Flood" (O/L new record), "with more news in weeks to come"

Maybe Gary hadn't received confirmation of it yet.

LildeviladyK
04-07-2008, 07:03 AM
I really thought you were Gary's mom! It was one reason I never posted as crowsghost again after I offended you one time.... Didn't they used to call you Gary's mom on this board?

Not to speak for Joyce, but are you perhaps confusing her w/"the boardmom"?

I don't remember anyone ever calling Joyce that here.

The "boardmom" is a playful moniker that Muskytoes gave me long ago. I pretended to "keep the kiddos happy and all in line, caring for them well and sending them to their rooms w/out their Jayhawks fix of music if they were naughty";)

so now over the years I've graduated to the board "mama", more of a reckless type of mom who is tired of doing the right thing and the guilt trips that perfect moms get thrown at 'em. The kiddos are grown. I'm free and I'm a wild mama!

I still have that listed on my "LiladyK" moniker as my status, I've just been letting my wilder side free as her alter-ego "LildeviladyK", the gal that I've kept in reins over the years....and "stuck inside of my head"....see my location above.

But, if that's not what you were thinkin' instead, then oh well, never mind:p

Haggischomper
04-07-2008, 07:47 AM

Or possibly Tweedy's mum!

Truscott
04-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Maybe Gary hadn't received confirmation of it yet.There's officially no label until the details have all been ironed out. And Gary is a wise man who knows nothing is certain until it's done. I'd wager he's aware of what's going on and will tell people there's a label when it's official. Otherwise, who knows, Rick Rubin might get involved somehow... :rolleyes:

jcarlile
04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Or possibly Tweedy's mum!

Well, now that I have been mistaken for.. ;)

LildeviladyK
04-07-2008, 08:59 AM
There's officially no label until the details have all been ironed out. And Gary is a wise man who knows nothing is certain until it's done. I'd wager he's aware of what's going on and will tell people there's a label when it's official. Otherwise, who knows, Rick Rubin might get involved somehow... :rolleyes:

Like all the other stuff that's been promised to come out but never sees the light of day, I hear ya. The music industry is so f-d up as we already know. That's the word goin' on at Hacktone from Shawnte', so the intention is there.

Icehaid
04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey Ed, here's a pic of Stephen w/guitar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcarlile/2392687462/

My pics aren't very good, but I'll upload the rest later....:)

Thanks. Guess he figured his red tele wasn't worth bringing along just for the one tune.

Precious Time
04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for your great reports, Joyce. They're always such fun to read and made me feel like I was there!

Rolling Thunder
04-09-2008, 11:06 AM

I don't remember anyone ever calling Joyce that here.

The "boardmom" is a playful moniker that Muskytoes gave me long ago. I pretended to "keep the kiddos happy and all in line, caring for them well and sending them to their rooms w/out their Jayhawks fix of music if they were naughty";)

so now over the years I've graduated to the board "mama", more of a reckless type of mom who is tired of doing the right thing and the guilt trips that perfect moms get thrown at 'em. The kiddos are grown. I'm free and I'm a wild mama!

I still have that listed on my "LiladyK" moniker as my status, I've just been letting my wilder side free as her alter-ego "LildeviladyK", the gal that I've kept in reins over the years....and "stuck inside of my head"....see my location above.

But, if that's not what you were thinkin' instead, then oh well, never mind:p

I don't know where I got that impression actually??? Maybe I imagined it all together?

Maybe someone posted something about you being "the board mom" somwhere on a thread where Joyce was posting at the same time.... I'm not really sure... and I do all I can to put my crowsghost days behind me...

Maybe I saw the pic with Gary giving Joyce a little kiss on the head, and assumed she was his mom... Maybe she's really Tweedy's mom? Oh, who knows... I'm always glad to read the reviews on here though.....

jcarlile
04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe she's really Tweedy's mom? Oh, who knows...

Well, I know....and that would be impossible, since sadly she is deceased.....:(

Rolling Thunder
04-13-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't know that.