12-Save It For A Rainy Day
13-Black Grass
14-I Wanna Get High
15-Tailspin

16- Listen Joe (solo)
17- Vagabonds
18- Blue
19- Until You Came Along (With KJJ)

Just got home from a great show, marred by what must have been a curfew or union issue. First off, Vetiver hit the stage at 8pm, mostly empty as they opened with three slow acoustic based numbers. They picked it up for the rest of their set as the crowd came in. We found Nutshell preshow, then found Facedown, KMWeiss, NY Fan before Gary went on. Gary came on at 9pm and was great. Cant decide what I liked most, as the songs killed. True Blue was better than the CD version, powerful. She Only Calls Me just beautiful. Wanna Get High was a blast. Vetiver played like they've been backing Gary for years. First hint that something was amiss was the non playing of Everybody Knows. Next was the end of the main set coming in at 15 songs (no Blue). Gary then came out by himself and said they would play as much as they could. He played only one solo acoustic song, then hurried the band back on stage for Vagabonds. It felt like they rushed thru the encores before leaving the stage at exactly 10:30. I dont know where the lines of communications went south, but quite frankly, not thrilled about losing 15% of Gary's set. Hopefully somebody else who was there got the story. Absolutely no complaints about quality as there wasn't one song I didn't enjoy. Those with shows coming up in your neck of the woods will have a great time.

Truscott
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
That sounds like a good setlist in spite of the oddly rushed ending. Wicked that you had KJJ join for Until You Came Along though. That must have rocked!

BTW, do you know if Gary was able to do any meet and greet after the show?

goody59
04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
My wife and I headed right home after the show. I know Nutshell was going to stay, she'll know better.

kmweiss
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Nice meeting some of you other folks!

It was too bad that the show got cut a bit because it was great other than that little annoyance. I also loved True Blue -- nice jam added to the end. I had never heard Everybody Gets By - amazing that this hasn't been properly recorded and put on a cd because its a great song. Not really going to highlight too much more because it was all equally great although Listen Joe was stellar -- maybe the best moment of the night. Too bad no Everybody Knows or Angelyne.

Good size audience but not sold out. Mostly older audience although there was some enthusiastic younger (if not rhythmic) folks dancing in the aisles near the end. Any of you folks see the big guy in the Rangers jersey doing the single fist pump??

Gary went outside after the show and spent a good amount of time chatting, signing and taking pics. Very, very gracious. I asked if he would be back in the fall and he said maybe with Mark, but he seemed kind of unsure. He was great with the younger kids who were super pumped up to be so near to a rock star! Looked to be even a couple of groupies but Gary wouldn't tell them where the band was going afterwards.

Didn't like Vetiver's show - boring. Sorry.

Think another fanpager waited a bit longer for Gary and may have more to add, but not sure if she caught up with him.

Kenny

CaffeineZombie
04-03-2008, 12:31 AM
19- Until You Came Along (With KJJ)

:)

thanks for the reports!

kmweiss
04-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Some pics:

Precious Time
04-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the report guys; I'm sure NY Fan talked to Gary as well...

I remember from my visit to the Town Hall that the Jayhawks show back then was cut short as well because of some union regulation. I thought the people working there were uptight & unkind and security overdone. It's a bummer that it messed with Gary's show as well.

JamesT42
04-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Got the setlist from one of the stage guys- Angelyne was listed after Listen Joe and Everybody knows should have been the closer. Yup it seemed that they rushed through the encores.

Good show, Vetiver found its place as the backup band, a little too mellow as an opener.

Highlight for me was Waiting-killer vocals , beautiful. Vagabonds material was great.

Mrs JamesT thoroughly enjoyed the show. I knew I would but she is a better gauge.

Nice saying hello to a few of you. I'm usually a lurker in here, but enjoy all of your comments.

Truscott
04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Very cool pics! That looks like it's probably a good venue. Too bad about the lousy union stuff.

nutshell
04-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, it was a good show last night, although as said, the ending was rushed, and we missed some songs. Vetiver did put on a mellow set, but their last two songs came alive a bit more. What was very impressive about them is what a fantastic job they did backing Gary. They knew all the songs, harmonies right on, only one time did Gary have to up the tempo with the drummer, and the guy clicked it right up, no problem.
Was a surprise about seeing KJJ. he was looking scruffy with a beard. Gary commented that everyone had a beard except him, and KJJ said "yeah, I got the memo"...cute line.
As Kenny said, the highlight also for me was "Listen Joe". It has not been a favorite of mine, but Gary's vocals were the best I've heard him do. I think the next tour HAS to be just Gary and a guitar, that's IT!

girl incognito1
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Sweet!!!!! Sounds like a great time. Bummer about the short set...sounds like that's not too unusual in New York City for a show. :(
Fantastic photos of Gary and KJJ, kmweiss!!!!

nutshell
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I have to add.....

We waited for gary inside the venue after the show, as that is where he came out after the last time we saw him. Unfortunately, he was already outside with everyone as I found out later! yikes! We had some beautiful photos for him to sign (taken by one of our very talented own fanpagers), so when we were kicked out we waited much longer outside. We hung out with those young fans that were thrilled to meet gary, and see that he was a cool guy. They are musicians themselves, in a band, and they were sweet and happy. Finally Gary did come out. He was in a big hurry, but still took time to sign our stuff, and speak a minute with us. Very nice. Hope we weren't too much of a nuisance. I'm always torn between dying to say hello to him, and feeling shy, and not wanting to bother him. If it ever is a chore for him, he never lets it show....

Was really nice to see the fanpagers...can't believe I never met you before at all these shows Kenny! I thought you were someone else at first, sorry if I was confused!

All in all a good night!

ellison
04-03-2008, 09:16 AM
definitely enjoyed the show and probably liked listen joe the best too. those vocals! kraig johnson was a fun and ragamuffin addition at the end!
omg, the rangers fan - we've seen his enthusiastic self at other shows because i think he always wears his rangers jersey! i can't believe he's not on this board. we thought all the young kids in front were fun to watch too! (and after the show talking to gary.)
sorry i did not get a chance to say hi to anyone. saw nutshell and nyfan at a distance between, but didn't see them after the show. i know you all enjoyed it though!

nutshell
04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
sorry I didn't get to see you ellison! As I said, we really blew it waiting inside, not outside! Would have liked to say 'Hi'. Yeah that rangers guy was fun! Lots of excited fans in the aisle dancing at the end, and good to see so many young people into it as well.
Did gary have any interesting news?

Glad you liked Listen Joe too! Don't you think gary and a guitar by himself would be 'awesome'?

His voice is the best instrument out there, and it would be pure pleasure to hear it more, without guitars and bass and drums getting in the way!

Haggischomper
04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I love NY shows cos it brings out some old faces on these here boards! You folks are much missed, believe me.

ohwellokay
04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
great show. i believe the show was cut short because he started late. there was a 10:30 curfew, but the box office said in the afternoon that he was starting at 8:45- they actually had a print-out with start times on it that i saw. i skipped vetiver, but when i walked in at 8:40, it looked like they had just ended because people were swarming into the lobby. i think one of the reasons the show started late was people were not returning to their seats despite repeated light dimmings.

regardless, i completely agree that gary and a guitar is where it's at. band was solid, but with him and an acoustic it is just heaven. listen joe was stunning, but really the best song for me was sound of lies - just great stuff. did we only lose two songs? someone after said they snagged a setlist and we lost like 5 - anyone know? from the other setlists looks like we lost a few solo numbers - very unfortunate - no settled, no angelyne

i had the weird experiecne that i was actually too close! 2nd row. the mix was actually very good considering we were getting direct sound from the amps, but i lost a little from the left with the slide and second guitar. oh well - live and learn

facedown
04-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Great seeing you all last night. It was an outstanding show. I agree that Vetiver was a really good backing band. I liked their set more than the rest of you guys; I do agree that the last couple songs were their best. The folks I was with are semi-fans and were blown away. I agree with kmweiss about Everybody Gets By. How could that not have ended up on an album? I also had never heard it and it was awesome. Imagine it with Mark and Karen. Black Grass was oustanding. It was cool to see younger fans amid the many middle aged bald guys (like me). Rangerfan was terrific as well as the trippy sexy lady toward the front dancing and grooving on the last couple tunes. Great fans. I could go on forever: the anthemic BLUE and WAITING FOR THE SUN!!!

BobLamonta
04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
The set being cut short was definitely a drag, though what we got was stellar. True Blue was an all out rocker at the end. Gary is King! Come back soon with just your guitar and play a small club.

I was front row in the almost totally empty balcony (insert sad-face emoticon here), and it was so disheartening to see so many empty seats next to so many bald heads (who won't be able to support great music forever) that I got a really big kick out of seeing those teenagers going crazy for Gary. There's hope for the future yet.

goody59
04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Facedown, here's the link to Everybody Gets By (in studio 1993 with Mark and Karen)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lenles/ click on fanpage picture, then miscellaneous. Its in the sounds section.

Great seeing you all last night. It was an outstanding show. I agree that Vetiver was a really good backing band. I liked their set more than the rest of you guys; I do agree that the last couple songs were their best. The folks I was with are semi-fans and were blown away. I agree with kmweiss about Everybody Gets By. How could that not have ended up on an album? I also had never heard it and it was awesome. Imagine it with Mark and Karen. Black Grass was oustanding. It was cool to see younger fans amid the many middle aged bald guys (like me). Rangerfan was terrific as well as the trippy sexy lady toward the front dancing and grooving on the last couple tunes. Great fans. I could go on forever: the anthemic BLUE and WAITING FOR THE SUN!!!

NY Fan
04-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, all I can add is that it was just too long since we had seen Gary, but he hasn't lost a thing.

My wife skipped the reunion shows and the last Golden Smog gigs, so she probably hadn't seen him in a few years (my god, is that right?...), and she's a HUGE GL fan, and she was blown away too.

He just sounded so good, and he was ripping it up on guitar, although in a slightly more restrained way than I think he would if Marc and co. were behind him.

You could tell by various cues that he was really bringing Vetiver with him, and they certainly held their own - but it isn't too hard to remind yourself that he had been playing with the Jayhawks for so many years, and there's a musical and personal bond there that can't just be replicated.

All in all, they did well, though. I did miss their opening set.

Anyway, the Vagabonds songs sounded awesome, and the old material just never gets old. Sound of Lies was a definite highlight, and I really enjoyed Everybody Gets By (should have been on an album!). Three Too Many was fantastic, too. The guy knows how to write hooks.

I was also disappointed at the length of the show, but Gary was in such a great mood. Nobody's mentioned this, so I will:

Gary tuned up his acoustic, and they started a song, and he realized he had used the wrong tuning, so he stopped the band during the intro, and words to this effect could be heard:

"Wow, I think I'm in the wrong tuning. You know me, I'm not above stopping a song to re-tune... That's part of my schtick... You know, I'm crazy..."

He was very self-deprecating and really funny the whole show. Said something about his age, and he's now "over fifty, still feeling frisky..."

It was just great to see him play, and see him in such a good mood...

-- Glenn

ohwellokay
04-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Facedown, here's the link to Everybody Gets By (in studio 1993 with Karen)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lenles/ click on fanpage picture, then miscellaneous. Its in the sounds section.

nicely done - thanks!

kmweiss
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
As someone else said, I thought there were some sound issues -- I was slightly to the right of center and thought I missed out on a lot of the pedal steel playing. While it was nice to sit, I'm not crazy about Town Hall -- seats are small and cramped. Plus, I think the sit down atmosphere dampened the excitement of the show. Compared to the crowd at the Bowery Ballroom for Golden Smog, most of this crowd was asleep.

As for future shows, I disagree with some of you. I would prefer to see Gary put together a new band (if he's not going the reunion route), put out a new cd with that band and then just kick ass on a tour. No matter how mellow some of Gary's songs are, he is still a guitar player -- just looking at him play I get the sense that its what he likes to do. He's not a 3 chord guy -- he likes to jam, pick and solo! Look how he they added the jam to True Blue last night or the awesome playing on Listen Joe. I actually was kind of disappointed that he didn't do an extended opening to WFTS! It all fits in perfectly when he then steps to the microphone and does SOL or To Die a Happy Man.

If he goes the mellower route then at least I hope he includes someone like Jim B like on that video of We'll Get By.

Kenny

kmweiss
04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Agree with you. It was hysterical when he said: "Gary Louris...brought to you by AARP!"

Well, all I can add is that it was just too long since we had seen Gary, but he hasn't lost a thing.

My wife skipped the reunion shows and the last Golden Smog gigs, so she probably hadn't seen him in a few years (my god, is that right?...), and she's a HUGE GL fan, and she was blown away too.

He just sounded so good, and he was ripping it up on guitar, although in a slightly more restrained way than I think he would if Marc and co. were behind him.

You could tell by various cues that he was really bringing Vetiver with him, and they certainly held their own - but it isn't too hard to remind yourself that he had been playing with the Jayhawks for so many years, and there's a musical and personal bond there that can't just be replicated.

All in all, they did well, though. I did miss their opening set.

Anyway, the Vagabonds songs sounded awesome, and the old material just never gets old. Sound of Lies was a definite highlight, and I really enjoyed Everybody Gets By (should have been on an album!). Three Too Many was fantastic, too. The guy knows how to write hooks.

I was also disappointed at the length of the show, but Gary was in such a great mood. Nobody's mentioned this, so I will:

Gary tuned up his acoustic, and they started a song, and he realized he had used the wrong tuning, so he stopped the band during the intro, and words to this effect could be heard:

"Wow, I think I'm in the wrong tuning. You know me, I'm not above stopping a song to re-tune... That's part of my schtick... You know, I'm crazy..."

He was very self-deprecating and really funny the whole show. Said something about his age, and he's now "over fifty, still feeling frisky..."

It was just great to see him play, and see him in such a good mood...

-- Glenn

goody59
04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I love Sound of Lies and DC Blues (favorite song on Vagabonds), enjoyed hearing them last night, but would prefer to hear them played stripped down to the core like Listen Joe. The songs are so intimate, I want them as quiet as possible. If its okay to pump up True Blue (which was amazing), then you can go the other direction with the quieter numbers. I had the same issue seeing Springsteen on The Rising tour, when he took some of the emotion out of My City Of Ruins by not keeping it simple, adding some schtick to the song. Songs like these, less is more, even if you're not playing in a small club. SOL live should leave you shaking.

ohwellokay
04-03-2008, 01:22 PM
As someone else said, I thought there were some sound issues -- I was slightly to the right of center and thought I missed out on a lot of the pedal steel playing. While it was nice to sit, I'm not crazy about Town Hall -- seats are small and cramped. Plus, I think the sit down atmosphere dampened the excitement of the show. Compared to the crowd at the Bowery Ballroom for Golden Smog, most of this crowd was asleep.

As for future shows, I disagree with some of you. I would prefer to see Gary put together a new band (if he's not going the reunion route), put out a new cd with that band and then just kick ass on a tour. No matter how mellow some of Gary's songs are, he is still a guitar player -- just looking at him play I get the sense that its what he likes to do. He's not a 3 chord guy -- he likes to jam, pick and solo! Look how he they added the jam to True Blue last night or the awesome playing on Listen Joe. I actually was kind of disappointed that he didn't do an extended opening to WFTS! It all fits in perfectly when he then steps to the microphone and does SOL or To Die a Happy Man.

If he goes the mellower route then at least I hope he includes someone like Jim B like on that video of We'll Get By.

Kenny

how close were you sitting? when i went to the bathroom, i sat in the last two rows for a song or two (entire row was empty - beat!). it was muddier back there - as it usually is because of the overhang - but the mix was spot-on. i sat off right a little but was so close that gary's amp and the bass amp knocked out the right side for me. when gary picked up the acoustic, the mix was much much better in my seat. town hall i don't like either - i never love the sound there honestly, but i think the further back you were, the better the mix was. had the best seats of my life, but it was honestly just too damn close forcing me to stare up the entire time. but as a total guitar goober, it was great to get the dvd shots of gary's hands.

how about the great jam on i wanna get high?

goody59
04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
On Everybody Gets By, Gary must have heard the version linked on this thread. Because on the 11-10-93 Club Zimba show Gary sings a bridge which he didnt do last night, just found it myself.

facedown
04-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Facedown, here's the link to Everybody Gets By (in studio 1993 with Mark and Karen)

Thanks Goody. Sounds great! I bet it's going to be on the upcoming Olsen/Louris record. I didn't know about this link. Very cool stuff there. Good work on the seating chart too.

girl incognito1
04-03-2008, 01:35 PM
It really, truly warms my heart that everyone is having such a fantastic time at Gary's shows. He's so much fun to watch that we are lucky to see him perform. I, for one, don't want him to slow down. The best is yet to come for him. :cool: :cool:

NY Fan
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Put me in the camp of Gary-in-a-band. I like the rocking too much to go for all-acoustic, all-the-time, so while I'd go see him play solo acoustic, I love that goddamn SG.

Having said that, I agree that some songs are best stripped down, and would have been perfectly happy to hear Sound of Lies with no backing band (nitpicking, but I thought the drums were overplayed during that song).

Gear note: He was playing through a Vox, just as he did on the reunion tour. Wonder if he sold the long-standing Matchless DC30?...

Truscott
04-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, he was playing through a Vox in Toronto too. He didn't have his fuzzface pedal with him either. Not that I'm complaining; he got some amazing sounds out of that Vox.

kmweiss
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I was 8th row. Nice seats although pics could have been better if I was a few rows closer! Plus, guy's head in front of me to the left was exactly in my way of taking Gary's picture!

Jam was cool in I Wanna Get High -- not my favorite song, but a good jam and nice change of direction during the show.

how close were you sitting? when i went to the bathroom, i sat in the last two rows for a song or two (entire row was empty - beat!). it was muddier back there - as it usually is because of the overhang - but the mix was spot-on. i sat off right a little but was so close that gary's amp and the bass amp knocked out the right side for me. when gary picked up the acoustic, the mix was much much better in my seat. town hall i don't like either - i never love the sound there honestly, but i think the further back you were, the better the mix was. had the best seats of my life, but it was honestly just too damn close forcing me to stare up the entire time. but as a total guitar goober, it was great to get the dvd shots of gary's hands.

how about the great jam on i wanna get high?

jacieb
04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Put me in the camp of Gary-in-a-band. I like the rocking too much to go for all-acoustic, all-the-time, so while I'd go see him play solo acoustic, I love that goddamn SG.

+1!!!!!!!

I've seen GL twice before with just acoustic and it moved me from being a fan of the band to a fan of his. Even the set he did for the local station with the band promoting RDM was an acoustic set. Seeing him in Chi-town, though, was a first for me. I've never seen him RAWK before and IT WAS BRILLIANT!!!!

Glad he's still frisky!

ohwellokay
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
not from NY, but someone posted sound of lies from another show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBLQ6FAUro

nutshell
04-03-2008, 03:43 PM
No matter how mellow some of Gary's songs are, he is still a guitar player --

ok, you're gonna make me backpedal a little here...just a little...

although I would still love to see gary with just an accoustic guitar (I never have) I can admit that many of his songs are probably best with all the other band elements. And he is a wicked guitar player! And also, so many of my favorites need the balance of quiet singing, then blister guitar to make them great (read 'Haywire')

Also, I was lucky enough to see Gary and Mark do an accoustic guitar version of 'Blue' when they performed it at the Katrina benefit some while back in NYC. Never heard anything like it. Amazing. That being said, I love it with Karen and all the rest too!

So, whatever...I love it all!

Truscott
04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
not from NY, but someone posted sound of lies from another show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBLQ6FAUroAnd another one of the same song at yet another show. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fK3DlJ8w31w

nutshell
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
one other funny thing....
someone in the audience yelled out to Gary, "you have cool hair!" to which Gary laughed and replied (something like) "I have cool hair? yeah me and Adam Durst" ....got a laugh!

JoMama
04-03-2008, 06:42 PM
although I would still love to see gary with just an accoustic guitar (I never have) I can admit that many of his songs are probably best with all the other band elements.

You know, when he performed "Angelyne" I thought that song could get a real fuzzy Crazy-Horse treatment with Gary's vocal swirling inside the din of distort-orama guitars. I really can clear envision this song actually covered by Neil and band...
"Tailspin" also hits me that way...

kmweiss
04-03-2008, 11:14 PM
A few more pics. Unfortunately, the rest are too big to upload here or just plain damn fuzzy! I think the band shot is when they were playing I Wanna Get High.

Kenny

Truscott
04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
How about you put them on Flickr? I'm sure we'd all love to see them. :)

Anodyne
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Hope we weren't too much of a nuisance. I'm always torn between dying to say hello to him, and feeling shy, and not wanting to bother him. If it ever is a chore for him, he never lets it show....

I feel the same way with Gary as far as feeling torn. He's not the most approachable musician I've ever met. (Maybe I'm just star struck with him.) I've met Pete Buck from R.E.M. a number of times, and he's actually a silly goof and really ready to chat it up if he knows you at all. Gary has always struck me as kind of stand-offish. Maybe shy? I know he got a full on Philly welcome from you and me at the Gary/Mark show a few years ago. I had too much wine that night and that lowers any torn feelings I feel at the time! I still have those pics in my office at work!

Glad to hear it was a good show. Too bad about the weird time issue with the venue.

girl incognito1
04-05-2008, 12:54 AM
I feel the same way with Gary as far as feeling torn. He's not the most approachable musician I've ever met. (Maybe I'm just star struck with him.) I've met Pete Buck from R.E.M. a number of times, and he's actually a silly goof and really ready to chat it up if he knows you at all. Gary has always struck me as kind of stand-offish. Maybe shy? I know he got a full on Philly welcome from you and me at the Gary/Mark show a few years ago. I had too much wine that night and that lowers any torn feelings I feel at the time! I still have those pics in my office at work!

Glad to hear it was a good show. Too bad about the weird time issue with the venue.

You got to meet Peter Buck!!!!! I"m jelous!!!!!! I've only heard good things about the REM guys. That Mike Mills is a sweetheart...etc. Michael Stipe has his days though. Anyways Gary as we all know is a sweetheart too. He gives so much of himself, that I totally understood his family was in town during the Chicago show. If Gary and Mark tour again, I'll say HI to both of them again. It's not like Gary forgets all the love we give him...plus he really cares for us. :D :cool: