16-I Wanna Get High
17-Tailspin
Encore
18-Listen Joe
19-Angelyne
20-Haywire (YES, HAYWIRE!)
21-Vagabonds
22-Until You Came Along

AWESOME was the word of the evening, which describes both the show and a discussion of the origin of the word onstage, which apparently was coined during the middle ages according to one guy in the crowd. The venue, Mr Small's, is an old church in a working class neighborhood just outside of the City.
The crowd had a great time, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a bigger crowd. However, the good news was that those who were there were only a few feet from the stage. Highlights for me were Everybody Knows from the Dixie Chicks record, Everybody Gets By (more on that in a sec) and Haywire. Black Grass, my favorite from Vagabonds, was also a great moment.

Vetiver was outstanding both as Gary's opening band and as his backing band. The Vagabonds songs sounded amazing, along with the slide guitar player. They were just great.

I had the thrill and honor of talking to Gary for a bit afterward, and he says he's enjoying this tour and looking forward to touring with Mark later in the year. He still checks on us here on the fanpage and is glad that so many of us are also finding him on his new site. Interestingly enough, Gary said that he found Everybody Gets By here on the fanpage, and decided to resurrect it for the tour. He shouted out to the fanpagers during the show, and I got a special mention for taking notes. I was standing right in front of him so I guess it was hard to miss :o

I got to meet Marshall91---great to see you Kim!

To all of the rest of you who still have this show to look forward to--enjoy and bring all your friends! Monica

Haggischomper
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I had the thrill and honor of talking to Gary for a bit afterward

Excellent! Does this mean we are gonna be treated to a new avatar GG?

Glad you had such a good time.

LildeviladyK
03-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I wondered if he had read about "Everybody Gets By" here....

Julie Kewlie, Poorlittlefish from Pittsburgh of the fanpage, where were you? :)

There's another Kim on this board?:eek:

goody59
03-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Does this mean it is, or isnt on the duo record ? Amazing he found the song here.

GreenGoddess
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Excellent! Does this mean we are gonna be treated to a new avatar GG?

Glad you had such a good time.

Thanks Haggy, and yes, a new avatar is on the way....but not til later in the week-leaving for a trade show tomorrow and won't be back for a few days.
Gary actually had to crouch down a bit so my boyfriend could get us both in the picture!

Marshall91
03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
There's another Kim on this board?:eek:

Yes, but I look nothing like Bonnie Raitt! :)

It was an awesome show & I was also thrilled to hear Everybody Knows. It was my favorite from the Dixie Chicks' cd, but I'd rather hear Gary sing it! I don't think I'd heard Everybody Gets By before. What a great song! I enjoyed Vetiver's set and thought they accompanied Gary very well. Eric Heywood's pedal steel was wonderful. I hope I got his name right - Gary kept referring to him as "Dirty Eric", and that's all I could remember. Well, except that he once dated Karen Grotberg! :D

I wish the crowd had been larger, too. I thought it was nice of Gary to thank everyone for being there, saying that he knew we had other choices. I think everyone there felt like we made the best one! There was at least one taper in the audience.

It was great to meet you, Monica. Maybe I'll see you again when Gary & Mark tour.

....I was just looking for a review in the Pittsburgh paper & it seems the aforementioned "other choices" included Tift Merritt & Roger McGuinn. No review so far.

poorlittlefish
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Well I did make it to the show. I hung out in the back by the bar with my roommate. I noticed someone had a mic set up back there, so the show was taped. Gary sounded great - and I was hoping to hear Haywire, so I was stoked when he dedicated it to Pittsburgh. I thought Vetiver did a wonderful job at backing him, but I didn't really get into their set so much. I've been out of touch here lately and with the Jayhawks music, but seeing Gary last night has definitely renewed my interest. I just wish I would have checked in here beforehand. It would've been nice to meet up with the other fanpagers that were in attendance. I also wish I had remembered my camera, but I was running a bit late.

Haggischomper
03-31-2008, 08:01 AM
leaving for a trade show tomorrow and won't be back for a few days.

A salad convention? Will you be staying at the Radisshon? :p :D

Marshall91
03-31-2008, 08:07 AM
The taper has posted the show already (thank you!) & I got to listen in the car on the way to work this morning. :D

Details can be found in this (http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/showpost.php?p=153180&postcount=41) thread.

Angelyne
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Lovely review GG! Sounds like an excellent time -- :D

And HAYWIRE! woohooo! Dedicated to Piksburgh how cool. Kulie did you speak any Yinzer to Gary?

Glad everyone had a great time & thanks Marshall91. I wish I was home so I could start the dl!

Isn't tour time wonderful!?? :D

nutshell
03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
HAYWIRE!!!!!!!

oh my god. please oh please oh please let this be played in NYC.....

I had just the other day wished this would be played, and thought, it probably wouldn't be. Oh, this would be...awesome!

I understand the Pittsburg connection, but ...oh please...NYC..

anyway, sounds like a wonderful night again! So glad you got to go GG! Thanks for the review!

JoMama
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
A salad convention? Will you be staying at the Radisshon? :p :D

Not on her celery, that's a onion shop. Thanks salad!:eek: :D

poorlittlefish
03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
And HAYWIRE! woohooo! Dedicated to Piksburgh how cool. Kulie did you speak any Yinzer to Gary?

haha no. I may have been born and raised here, but I'm no yinzer!
I didn't stick around after the show because I was meeting up with other friends afterwards.

Bryn
04-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Not on her celery, that's a onion shop. Thanks salad!:eek: :D

Lettuce get this straight. If it was a salad convention I would be at the Waldorf. Why? Just Cos I Yam like that. Now stop sprouting on.

GreenGoddess
04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes, it was our annual food show in Atlantic City, where thousands of our customers come to look at chicken fingers and french fries. A few checked out my tomatoes, but the melons and cucumbers were the big crowd pleasers! ;) :eek:

Haggischomper
04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Haha! I better steer clear of commenting further.

Glad to see further proof of evolution though - chicken's now have fingers? :p

JoMama
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
A few checked out my lettuce, but my melons and some guy's cucumber were the big crowd pleasers! ;) :eek:

Yeah, sure, now you tell us... Woulda hopped a plane to see this!:D