PDA

View Full Version : Sun Times review of Gary's Chicago Show

jcarlile
03-30-2008, 12:32 PM
link: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/867806,louris032908.article

Ex-Jayhawk Gary Louris still soars in solo show

March 29, 2008

BY MARY HOULIHAN Staff Reporter

When the seminal roots-rook band the Jayhawks was at its zenith, Gary Louris and Mark Olson were joined at the hip musically. When Olson left the Minneapolis band in 1995, Louris kept the outfit going for another ten years, recording the acclaimed albums "Sound of Lies" and "Rainy Day Music." Now with the band on what seems a permanent hiatus, fans have been eagerly awaiting Louris' first solo effort.

It finally arrived in the form of a soulful new album "Vagabonds," which was the central focus of Louris' nicely paced show Friday night at Metro. The easy-going, likeable performer rambled through nearly the entire album, presenting the new work alongside many selections from the Jayhawks catalog. It was an evening full of pleasurable surprises that also included "Everybody Knows," a song co-written with the Dixie Chicks, "Everywhere," written for the movie "Wordplay" and a rollicking version of "Until You Came Along," a song recorded with his side project, the supergroup Golden Smog.

On the new songs, Louris continues to showcase sweet harmonies and empathic songwriting but all within a more adventurous framework. It's the sign of a talented singer-songwriter thoughtfully taking steps in new directions without loosing contact with the old.

Some of the new came with the backing band, a group of young California musicians known as Vetiver, who rambled through the songs with ease even though this is just their third show with Louris. They were best on the new songs and added a different touch to the classic Jayhawks tunes, which wasn't bad just different. One holdover from the past was pedal-steel ace Eric Heywood whose refined twang now has a Daniel Lanois influence, especially on the new song "I Wanna Get High," a psychedelic rock-jam which was one of the evening's best moments.

Throughout the show, it was easy to pick up on Louris' influences that range from Dylan and the Band, to Tom Petty, the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. The sweetly understated strains of "To Die a Happy Man," one of the highlights of the new album, channeled a gospel-tinged Paul Simon.

While the majority of the older songs "I'd Run Away," "Waiting for the Sun," "Everybody Gets By," "Sound of Lies," "Blue" were nicely, if imperfectly, rendered, by the young band, Louris managed moments of perfection, especially in the encore with solo acoustic versions of "Settled Down Like Rain" and "Angelyne."

But it was the new songs that really stood out, proving that Louris continues to be a perceptive, instinctive songwriter who creates vivid musical pictures. On "She Only Calls Me On Sundays," he sings of a lover who only calls "when she's had her fill of red wine, cigarettes and perscription pills." Heywood's wailing pedal-steel adds to the broken-hearted distress.

Even though there were imperfect moments, the show was a comfortbale homecoming before a crowd in a city that Louris called "one of his favorite places to play." Louris presented himself as a man not afraid to tackle the new while also giving fans what they want -- the soundtrack of their lives.

JAYHAWKS REUNION?: Well, sort of. In recent years, Mark Olson and Gary Louris have reconcilled (although there never really was a huge rift between them) and toured as a duo but have yet to record together again. It's happy news to hear that the songwriting partnership has been rekindled on a new collection of songs, "Ready for the Flood," set for a later summer release. Could a Jayhawks reunion be far behind? We'll have to wait and see.

Icehaid
03-30-2008, 01:07 PM

March 29, 2008

When the seminal roots-rook band the Jayhawks was at its zenith, Gary Louris and Mark Olson were joined at the hip musically. When Olson left the Minneapolis band in 1995, Louris kept the outfit going for another ten years, recording the acclaimed albums "Sound of Lies" and "Rainy Day Music." Now with the band on what seems a permanent hiatus, fans have been eagerly awaiting Louris' first solo effort.

It finally arrived in the form of a soulful new album "Vagabonds," which was the central focus of Louris' nicely paced show Friday night at Metro. The easy-going, likeable performer rambled through nearly the entire album, presenting the new work alongside many selections from the Jayhawks catalog. It was an evening full of pleasurable surprises that also included "Everybody Knows," a song co-written with the Dixie Chicks, "Everywhere," written for the movie "Wordplay" and a rollicking version of "Until You Came Along," a song recorded with his side project, the supergroup Golden Smog.

On the new songs, Louris continues to showcase sweet harmonies and empathic songwriting but all within a more adventurous framework. It's the sign of a talented singer-songwriter thoughtfully taking steps in new directions without loosing contact with the old.

Some of the new came with the backing band, a group of young California musicians known as Vetiver, who rambled through the songs with ease even though this is just their third show with Louris. They were best on the new songs and added a different touch to the classic Jayhawks tunes, which wasn't bad just different. One holdover from the past was pedal-steel ace Eric Heywood whose refined twang now has a Daniel Lanois influence, especially on the new song "I Wanna Get High," a psychedelic rock-jam which was one of the evening's best moments.

Throughout the show, it was easy to pick up on Louris' influences that range from Dylan and the Band, to Tom Petty, the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. The sweetly understated strains of "To Die a Happy Man," one of the highlights of the new album, channeled a gospel-tinged Paul Simon.

While the majority of the older songs "I'd Run Away," "Waiting for the Sun," "Everybody Gets By," "Sound of Lies," "Blue" were nicely, if imperfectly, rendered, by the young band, Louris managed moments of perfection, especially in the encore with solo acoustic versions of "Settled Down Like Rain" and "Angelyne."

But it was the new songs that really stood out, proving that Louris continues to be a perceptive, instinctive songwriter who creates vivid musical pictures. On "She Only Calls Me On Sundays," he sings of a lover who only calls "when she's had her fill of red wine, cigarettes and perscription pills." Heywood's wailing pedal-steel adds to the broken-hearted distress.

Even though there were imperfect moments, the show was a comfortbale homecoming before a crowd in a city that Louris called "one of his favorite places to play." Louris presented himself as a man not afraid to tackle the new while also giving fans what they want -- the soundtrack of their lives.

JAYHAWKS REUNION?: Well, sort of. In recent years, Mark Olson and Gary Louris have reconcilled (although there never really was a huge rift between them) and toured as a duo but have yet to record together again. It's happy news to hear that the songwriting partnership has been rekindled on a new collection of songs, "Ready for the Flood," set for a later summer release. Could a Jayhawks reunion be far behind? We'll have to wait and see.

Decent enough review - ecxept he didn't play "Settled...", it's "Every Word" -not "Everywhere", and I've never heard of a "perscription" pill. ;)

nutshell
03-30-2008, 02:35 PM

March 29, 2008

Throughout the show, it was easy to pick up on Louris' influences that range from ...., to Tom Petty, .......

Not a bad review, but I take exception to this statement! Surely it is the other way around!!!!:eek:

jcarlile
03-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Decent enough review - ecxept he didn't play "Settled...", it's "Every Word" -not "Everywhere", and I've never heard of a "perscription" pill. ;)

Yeah, that confused me, I thought did I hear Settled Down Like Rain and forget it? I didn't think so...;)

jacieb
03-31-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think she was actually at the show. I think she read the twin cities review and just tweaked it (with lousy syntax and redundant adjectives) for Chicago. I don't know how you could call out the performances as "imperfect" repeatedly. The show was tight, it rocked, and, no, Settled Down Like Rain was not on the set list.

She must write reviews for Maxim on the side. Call her to task, and she'll probably call her review an "educated guess". Sheesh!!

jacieb
04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I can't get this stupid review off my mind. I SWEAR this was a retread of the MN show. I think I'm going to write a letter.:mad: :mad:

jcarlile
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I can't get this stupid review off my mind. I SWEAR this was a retread of the MN show. I think I'm going to write a letter.:mad: :mad:

I did write to her, haven't heard a response yet. Plus, that picture wasn't even from that night, no scarf.... ;)

Precious Time
04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I did write to her, haven't heard a response yet. Plus, that picture wasn't even from that night, no scarf.... ;)

Busted! Go get her Joyce! And that is called a 'staff reporter'! Does it mean she sits at her desk googlin' and stealing other people's reviews? :mad:

jacieb
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I am really steaming over this. One of my 7 failed majors in college was journalism. I may not be an ace reporter (or reviewer like TomInMaine) but even I know that you don't steal a review you didn't write to describe a show you didn't see.

Haggischomper
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I did write to her, haven't heard a response yet.

She hasn't found where to steal the reply from, that's why.

girl incognito1
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I am really steaming over this. One of my 7 failed majors in college was journalism. I may not be an ace reporter (or reviewer like TomInMaine) but even I know that you don't steal a review you didn't write to describe a show you didn't see.

Yeppers!!!! It really bugs me too Jacki...having a BA in Journalism from a J-school that's one of the top 25 J-schools in the country (and using it too!!! :rolleyes: ) I have done music reviews as a student reporter in college, and of course plagiarism, and making up stories is a big fat no no!! There is a code of ethics from the Society of Professional Journalists, in which I was a member at the Uni of Iowa when I was a student studying journalism.

Obviously this reviewer forgotten about this in the Preamble:

"The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues. Conscientious journalists from all media and specialties strive to serve the public with thoroughness and honesty. Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility." (Cite: SPJ http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp)

mystic_spiral_3
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Didn't Gary say he and Vetiver would be kicking ass on this tour? Joyce has been inspired by the guys! Go Joyce! :)

Truscott
04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I did write to her, haven't heard a response yet. Plus, that picture wasn't even from that night, no scarf.... ;)More importantly, did you write to her editor? That's going to get more results than writing to her. The newspaper's editors should definitely be alerted to this one.

Haggischomper
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I work almost right next door to the Sun-Times. I ought to burst in tomorrow lunchtime and give them a piece of Joyce's mind. (I don't have any of my own I can spare).

Truscott
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
And the next day there will be an article about "that crazy Welshman".

Yeah yeah, inaccuracy intended.

Haggischomper
04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
:D funny! It's usually the Irish stick I get beaten with.

Bryn
04-04-2008, 01:26 AM
:D funny! It's usually the Irish stick I get beaten with.

Aren't you meant to be going the Cuban route Fidel?:rolleyes:

Haggischomper
04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Silence! Or I'll have you jailed for no good reason.

[How was that?]

Angelyne
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Great Scot, what's going on here? :p

Any word on the so-called journalist's recycled review?

Haggischomper
04-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Joyce was in DC at the show last night so we don't have the leatest scoop as yet. (And I surely hope that wasn't who Jeb was referring to as a 70yr old in his review!!!!)