View Full Version : http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/03/16/071232.php

jacieb
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/03/16/071232.php

Vagabonds review

Truscott
03-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Jacie! Neat review.

Robinson wisely "under-produces" here, leaving things well enough alone so that this album avoids the occasionally over-produced quality of latter Jayhawks albums like the Bob Ezrin produced Smile.I know at least one person on this board who didn't write this review...

But I keep thinking the term over-produced is misused too often. I recall Gary himself saying that he thought it was funny that people called Smile overproduced when RDM actually had more production applied to it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't over-produced when every little nuance of an album is controlled and refined?

Using effects and other recording techniques is just looking for a sound; not producing.

Calexico
03-22-2008, 05:32 AM
This back and forth about production really irks me. I must say, unless the sound is buried under a mountain of mush..like the debut Smiths album, I rarely notice it. It is all about the songs and lyrics for me. Unless it sounds like it was recorded underwater or in a train tunnel, I never tend to notice it.

JoMama
03-22-2008, 10:33 AM
This back and forth about production really irks me. I must say, unless the sound is buried under a mountain of mush..like the debut Smiths album, I rarely notice it. It is all about the songs and lyrics for me. Unless it sounds like it was recorded underwater or in a train tunnel, I never tend to notice it.

AMEN to that. :)

mystic_spiral_3
03-22-2008, 09:53 PM

+1 :)

goody59
03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Marshall Crenshaw's 2nd record (produced by Steve Lillywhite) you can definitely notice it, its as stiff as a board. 1st album is a perfect pop record, 3rd album is pretty damn good as well.