PDA

View Full Version : Mark Olson in Austin 2-20-08

hellaciousc
02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Had a chance to see Mark in Austin on Wednesday.

First stop was an instore at Waterloo Records. There was free beer and free Mark Olson. It was great. Mark only played 3 songs because he said 'they' told him to only play 2 songs because people were coming just to instores and then not to the show.

He played "Clifton Bridge" AND "Over my Shoulder". I had goosebumps the whole time during "Over my Shoulder". Seriously. It's great hearing that song live after so many years of just hearing it on CD.

Talked to Mark a bit after the instore. He said the tour thus far has been really sparsely attended. He said there have been a couple good gigs, but on the whole, attendance has been poor. But he said he's having a blast on tour with this current lineup, and they're just having a good time playing music.

The show that night at stubbs had decent attendance. Definitely not great, but there were 50 or so appreciative fans.

Really short show, which disappointed me.
75 minutes on the dot, with no encore.

I didn't keep a setlist but know he played Michael's Boat, My Own Jo Ellen, Salvation Blues, Poor GW, December's Child, Sister Cry, Over My Shoulder, Blue AND...

the surprise of the night for me...

he played "Pray for me", which was awesome.

"Pray for Me" and "Over my Shoulder" sounded so so good.

"Blue" was pretty good.

"Sister Cry" didn't quite do it for me as an Olson tune. A little too slow. A lot of not enough Gary on that one.

But it was still cool to hear.

And I'm obsessed with "Clifton Bridge" now.

That song is really stellar live.

The end.

Calexico
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Such a shame that the attendances have been low. People just don't know when they have good music around. I really feel for artists when they have to battle against that crap.

illbecominhome
02-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Man, he would even get more than 50 people in my shitty hometown...

Idigamidget
02-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Some Jayhawks fans act like the Jayhawks are just about Gary Louris. There would be no Jayhawks without Mark Olson. Mark is the one with the stronger song writing talent. Gary's got a nice singing voice and can play some riffs and do them up right though. He can write good songs, but he's kind of empty sounding without Mark to join him in those songs. Tim O'Reagan is a disappointment in the songwriting department and voice department. Olson has more songwriting talent in the tip of his pinky fingernail than Tim. I bet some will disagree (if you don't care for Olson) but it's just the way I see it, no meaning to offend anyone.

Anyone who blew Mark Olson off on his tour this time around has got their own head up their own ass

Haggischomper
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Edited

Never mind. Got sparked by the wrong thing being said at the wrong time.

Icehaid
02-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Edited

Screw that - should have posted it, pal. ;)

Haggischomper
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Did, but (somehow) common sense got the better of me. I'll try not to let it happen again.

JoMama
02-23-2008, 12:58 PM
I have to say, I agree to some of that sentiment about Olson but I really, really truly think they have something greater than the sum of their parts when they work together. That to me is far and away what I hear when I listen to their solo stuff:
I want some software that adds Gary's voice and guitar to Mark's songs, and Mark's voice and poetics to Gary's material.

That said, I saw Mark 4 times in the past year and still wish I'd have trekked to a few more of the shows, there's such joy and sweet moments to be found in his music, and taken in the intimacy of these smaller clubs, I'm telling you folks, he needs to be given a spot on Prairie Home Companion with this lineup--so many good people out there deserve to hear his current band. They sounded so crazy-cool on that Austin radio show.

illbecominhome
02-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Edited

Jajajaja, I read it tho :p

Haggischomper
02-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah. omce I edited teh swearing out there was nothing left!

sacred roots
02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Some Jayhawks fans act like the Jayhawks are just about Gary Louris.

Not surprising since Olson hasn't been in the Jayhawks for over 12 years.

There would be no Jayhawks without Mark Olson.

Tell us something that we don't know.

Mark is the one with the stronger song writing talent.

There are plenty of people who agree with that sentiment. There are also a considerable number of people who don't.

Gary's got a nice singing voice and can play some riffs and do them up right though.

Yeah, i guess he was a pretty good choice for "second fiddle." I wonder who wrote all of the songs on the last 3 Jayhawks albums? And since Gary only does the "riffs," i'll have to check the credits to see who did all the leads.

He can write good songs, but he's kind of empty sounding without Mark to join him in those songs.

Yeah, the last 3 Jayhawks records and Vagabonds do sound rather "empty," don't they? Poor Gary -- if it wasn't for Mark Olson he'd probably still be a bag boy back in Ohio.

Tim O'Reagan is a disappointment in the songwriting department and voice department. Olson has more songwriting talent in the tip of his pinky fingernail than Tim. I bet some will disagree…

…and you would absolutely be right there, pilgrim! Mark is certainly a fine, if not gifted, songwriter, but he's not even in the same universe as Tim far as singing goes. Tim is a magnificent singer. As for songwriting, well that's certainly a matter of taste, and I find that Tim's songs taste splendid.

... (if you don't care for Olson)

What does not liking Olson have to with liking Tim, or anyone else for that matter? It's not an "either/or" thing. I like Tim, Gary and Mark a whole bunch. I've never disguised the fact that I prefer Gary over Mark in any number of areas, but that doesn't mean I don't like Mark's work, too. It's not like they're polar opposites! Not being absolutely over-the-top smitten with an artist is sure not the same as not "caring" for them.

but it's just the way I see it, no meaning to offend anyone.

No offence taken. You've stated your opinions rather provocatively but there's nothing wrong with passionate discourse. I think it's possible to "see" things different ways when it comes to fans discussing their favorite music and still share a common love for the music itself.

Anyone who blew Mark Olson off on his tour this time around has got their own head up their own ass

No argument from me -- the last Olson show i saw was probably the best i've ever seen him post-Jayhawks, and that has nothing to do with the fact that Gary sat in for a few songs. :)

Pillow Pants
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Some Jayhawks fans act like the Jayhawks are just about Gary Louris. There would be no Jayhawks without Mark Olson. Mark is the one with the stronger song writing talent. Gary's got a nice singing voice and can play some riffs and do them up right though. He can write good songs, but he's kind of empty sounding without Mark to join him in those songs. Tim O'Reagan is a disappointment in the songwriting department and voice department. Olson has more songwriting talent in the tip of his pinky fingernail than Tim. I bet some will disagree (if you don't care for Olson) but it's just the way I see it, no meaning to offend anyone.

Agree on something, disagree on others. First, the low attendance figures are mostly Olson's fault. He left the Jayhawks and failed to play their material for years. He never even bothered to promote himself as an ex-Jayhawk. The last couple years he has finally come around to playing some of his best Jayhawks songs, and it's going to take time to build that back up. Gary kept the Jayhawks name alive in the touring world, even though the albums were of a fractured quality. This gauranteed a larger live audience - not to mention that they were more mainstream sounding songs. Olson did what Neil Young did. He got bored of the highway, so he "headed for the ditch". Unfortunately he went waaaay over in the ditch and used Victoria's cartoonish voice way too often on his solo albums, further alienating potential ticket buyers.

As for O'Reagan, he's a talented musician with a knack for writing a couple good tunes here and there. He's got a great voice, but it's not timeless or alternative sounding like Olson's. It's much more mainstream,and I think a bit easier to tire of. I liked his solo album alot.

I've always considered Olson and Louris equals, but I think Olson's solo stuff stands up better over time and on it's own. He's a guy that can show up with two great songs and a bunch of good ones per album whereas Gary shows up with three or four great tunes and some mediocre to subpar songs.I think Gary needs Mark a bit more in terms of making a complete album, but I think Olson needs Gary's focus more (Olson sometimes gets too heee-hawwy live while losing focus of his singing).

Olson is a gifted natural writer, as is Louris. They don't need to force anything if they don't want to - but I think Olson's lyrics and songs have a less forced quality. Both write fine lyrics, but I think Olson offers up better imagery. In his day, Louris had some absolutely astonishing electric guitar work(HTH). I don't see how he could ever match that again.

When they are together, their work is fantastic because each picks up for the other's weaknesses.

Hopefully the album they finished is great and Robinson didn't bong it to death.

JoMama
02-28-2008, 07:50 AM
I hope Robinson bonged the hell out of it and it has a gigantic pot plant growing outside of Hollywood Town Hall for cover art. That would be kewl!:)

Bryn
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
That just may be the best post you ever wrote PP. Keep up the good work.:)