PDA

View Full Version : Mark Olson / Cedar Rapids, Iowa 2-13-08

LiladyK
02-14-2008, 03:09 AM
What a wonderful night for Mark, Ingunn and Michele.:)

The C.S.P.S. (Chek Slovak Prudential Society) Legion Arts Center is a 130 year old brick/ wood floor building where this settlement of ethnic people used to have their meetings long ago. It's now on the historic register. Mark really thought it was "a groovy place". I like it cause it seems all "folky hippy coffee house like".

The crowd number was pretty decent in attendance. I didn't bother to count how many, probably because Mark, Ingunn and Michele seemed so pleased by everything that was going on around them...the crowd, the type of venue.... and that's all that really mattered to me. It was a sit down venue. Some of us sat at tables up front with little candles in the middle of the tables, and the rest of the crowd sat in chairs behind us at inclining heights like a movie theater.

Lots of joking around on the stage and big smiles all around. It was nice to see them in that light. Michele's fiddle was on fire (as usual ;)) and the crowd couldn't stop applauding it.

I made a big welcome sign with pictures on it for the ticket/merch table that Mark really liked. He asked me if he could have it. He wants to put it in his house cause he likes it's "homespun Irish feel".

Got some nice pics, but probably won't get them organized and up on flickr until next week as this lilady has got to get her work done so she can take off in just 3 days to the Kansas City show.

Fanpager Cyfan Tim was there. He has the setlist of songs, I'll have to ask him what it is, then I'll post it unless he wants to. There were a couple of surprises (for me anyway) and a nice encore.

I know the C.S.P.S. always treats the artists that perform there exceptionally well with their guarantee, so that must have made it a good night for them.

It's 3:00 a.m. now.......glad I don't have to work or go to school early tomorrow. ZZZZZZ ya later.

flowers12
02-14-2008, 06:31 AM
"What a wonderful night for Mark, Ingunn and Michele.:)
The crowd number was pretty decent in attendance."
I'm very happy for you, Kim, thank you for the nice report!!
And I'm glad for that there was many people in it :)

cyfan
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Just how many beers did you have at the Chrome Horse lilady? The show was over at 10.:D

What a pleasant evening. Didn't have to deal with gabbing jackholes trying to talk over the music. It was weird to be at a show where people were applauding for solos in the middle of songs (michele's) instead of just holding up a lighter or shouding "whooo hooo."

Tim
PS - I don't actually have a set list but I do have a recording from which it can be derived when I can get around to a transfer.

LiladyK
02-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, Tim, I was thinking about that the show was over at 10. Did he play two hours, or did it not start until 8:30? I didn't look at the time. In any case, it couldn't have been later than 8:30 so he played a good hour and a half.

Ha ha. Well, as for the Chrome.....my husband Scott went home sooner than I did because he had to get up at 5 but I didn't. Our friends Terri, Bruce, Scott (a different Scott) and his g-friend Becky and I stuck around for a bit. Mark told my Scott and I before the show that they might go over to the Chrome after the show. It started with Michele handing me a beer that the venue provided them at CSPS. Then we jabbered through drinking that for a while, and then the band was tired so they took off to rest up for the drive to Chicago today. Terri and I then continued with Scott and Becky at the Chrome until closing time (midnight) cuz Lilady was craving another Blue Moon on draft with orange....yum just like she had pre-show. It was Karoke night and Becky is an awesome singer and well, I love it too, so we did a couple of songs. By the time I actually got home it was around 1:00 a.m. Couldn't sleep, so caught up on some computer work and then posted before drifting into zzzzzz land arond 3:00 a.m.

That was great hanging out with you Tim at the Chrome before the show and finally introducing you to my husband and some other friends. And I met Shannon the sound guy, coincidentally a guy who remembered me from our trading community of long ago. What a great job he did with sound. I hope it was ok that I asked for more of Ingunn's vocals. We couldn't hear them at all from the front row. I mean it was like her mouth was moving and nothing was coming out.

I didn't say anything for a long time, but finally I thought I could quickly sneak it in for a request. I really don't like being interruptive and I apologized.:o

Soooo.....I didn't get to try one o' those fried pickles. Scott had 'em on a business trip recently and now that's all he talks about.

I know you didn't "literally" have a setlist....that was just my subliminal way of saying you taped the show w/out blurting out to everyone that you did. I didn't tape this one as you are "Tim the Taper god of all good things" :)

cyfan
02-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I didn't get to try one o' those fried pickles. Scott had 'em on a business trip recently and now that's all he talks about.

I regret not trying a fried pickle too.
I had forgotten your request for more Ingunn vocals. You made Shannon cry.

I keed, I keed.

I think you may have missed the vocals based on where you were sitting. The house mix was in stereo. The PA stack in front of where you were sitting had more of Michele's fiddle and less of Ingunn's vocals. The PA on the right was basically the opposite. In the middle of the room, or farther back, it sounded fabulous throughout. That is a nice room and I wish I'd set up some ambient mics for recording.

HackTone Lady
02-14-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm glad to hear that the show was fun for everyone! Thank you guys!!!

norma023
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
heh, I can help with that transfer..... :D

Sounds like a good show you guys got - thanks for the reports !!

PS - I don't actually have a set list but I do have a recording from which it can be derived when I can get around to a transfer.

cyfan
02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
heh, I can help with that transfer..... :D

Nothing like doing a real time transfer on eight individual channels from a 75 minute recording. But when I'm all done, it's more fun to play with:p

LiladyK
02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I regret not trying a fried pickle too.
I had forgotten your request for more Ingunn vocals. You made Shannon cry.

I keed, I keed.

I think you may have missed the vocals based on where you were sitting. The house mix was in stereo. The PA stack in front of where you were sitting had more of Michele's fiddle and less of Ingunn's vocals. The PA on the right was basically the opposite. In the middle of the room, or farther back, it sounded fabulous throughout. That is a nice room and I wish I'd set up some ambient mics for recording.

Oh, I see,it just didn't feel like I was sitting at one side because the stage was so small. My friend Terri was just to the right of me and she was directly in front of Mark. What I mean is, I didn't feel like the other PA was far off away from me to make that big of a difference, but I guess it was. Not used to a stereo house mix. That's ok, I know I'll hear it in the recording. Thanks again for that....it'll be kind of embarrassing to hear it again though when Mark says "what's wrong, Kim?":p

cyfan
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
....it'll be kind of embarrassing to hear it again though when Mark says "what's wrong, Kim?":p

Especially when I dub it to sound like "what's wrong with Kim?"

LiladyK
02-16-2008, 08:40 AM
With your fancy set up you probably really COULD do that. Your world frightens me.Thanks for rubbing it in!:eek:

norma023
02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
lol, you two are cracking me up! Better stop this or else it turn into another "one day at a time" episode! :eek:

cyfan
02-17-2008, 09:59 AM
lol, you two are cracking me up! Better stop this or else it turn into another "one day at a time" episode! :eek:

Quiet, you, Schneider...

LiladyK
02-18-2008, 05:00 PM
(Hahahahahahahha)

Schneider are you a lil jealous? I told you that the next time the faucet breaks and water goes spewing forth all over my tacky orange shag carpet, I dream of nothing other than to see your skinny shining plumber's crack bending over my avocado green sink to fix it for me.

(But, Tim does look a lot like Ron Livingston from Office Space...

mmmm....Schneider's got some competition)