PDA

View Full Version : Mark Olson 2008 Tour - Notes and Reviews

jacieb
01-31-2008, 02:01 AM
SAN DIEGO JAN 30

Tonight was the first leg of the Mark Olson's tour, and it was amazing. All of you West Coasters, you should check it out when this tour comes your way, especially if you missed it the last time.

The Venue
The concert was held at Acoustic Music San Diego, a church space that is used for these concerts. It's located in the "low rent" section of uptown called North Park. The sound was incredible. It holds about 250 people and was at about 3/4 full when I got there (1 song late!!:mad: ).

Mary Gauthier
What can I say - she rocked the house. North Park is right next to Hillcrest, and both have a very concentrated gay community, where apparently she has a lot of fans. Great stories between the songs, great singing - just her and her guitar, with the occassional harmonica (worn around her neck) to carry us through the bridge. Really funny and charming, she had the audience wrapped around her finger, and even had to wipe her eyes a bit when we offered her a standing ovation.

Mark Olson
Mark's set was simple, concentrated, and without a lot of chatter between songs. Not everyone there for Mary's set returned, but there was still a good-sized crowd and a some late arrivals for Mark. I posted earlier that I was struggling with the Salvation Blues album and hoped that hearing the songs live would help. My wish was granted. There was an energy with these performances that really helped the songs "pop". As other posters mentioned with the 2007 tour, the violin was AMAZING and the audience couldn't help but show their enthusiasm when he blazed through a solo. Mark really didn't wait too long for the audience to applaud one song before starting another. I think he had to catch a bus or something, because...

I do have a complaint - the audience really wanted an encore, but no such luck. He played his set and was off to sign CDs (I was 2nd in line;) ).

Mark's Set List
(Don't know the name of this one) When we were young? Edited: "Big Old Sign"
Over My Shoulder
National Express
Salvation Blues
December's Child
Sister Cry
My Carol
Tears from Above
Hummingbird
Clifton Bridge

No encore....:(

MY Story
Got there late, and I didn't have tix already, but didn't think that would be a problem. When I got there, they said I could take a ticket for row 10B, or I could pay $5 extra and sit in row 2B. I paid the extra $5, but when we got to the 2nd row, it was full, so they had me sit in the first row instead.:D

A couple of songs into Mary's set, an older couple was seated next to me. There was a long break after her set (I guess she was signing CDs?) and so the couple and I started talking. They were very sweet. They asked about Mary and I said that I had never heard her before, but I just loved her performance. They said "Well, we're here for the second act." I said that I was too, that I was a big fan of Mark's and of the Jayhawks. They said "The Jayhawks! Wow, that was a long time ago. You must really be a fan." I said that I was. The lovely lady then extended her hand to me and said, "Well, let me introduce myself, I'm Mark's mom." We then went on to talk about their winters in San Diego, the world class hospitals here, and the crazy price of housing. Oh, and we spent several minutes exploring my Blackberry while I looked up the show notice, my daughter's baby pics, and the fanpage. They're now convinced - they want a Blackberry too! It was great!

Couple of "mom" tidbits:
I probably shouldn't tell stories on her, but she was so gosh darned CUTE that I have to share!!
"He's touring with Mary up the west coast, then he only has a couple of days to DRIVE to Minneapolis! It's so crazy! I hope there isn't a blizzard!"
"I'm gonna tell him to smile more on stage. Why was he frowning so much? I wonder if the lights were in his eyes?" (I didn't say anything to her, but he really did frown quite a bit - maybe he was tired from the drive down from Joshua Tree?)

PICs
No pics up yet, but I do have some non-blurry one's. I just need to figure out how to get them out there! (hint hint fanpagers?)

Obvious they WON'T be hiring me at Rolling Stone anytime soon based on this review. Still, I wanted to quickly get this out there. Hope all of you have a chance to share your stories as well! HAVE FUN!!!

silvercaster
01-31-2008, 02:18 AM
What a nice review. I was also at the show and loved it.

The first song was "Big Old Sign", off of Zola and the tulip tree.

LiladyK
01-31-2008, 02:24 AM
How cool and lucky for you, meeting and talking to Mark's mom. Glad you had a good time at the show overall. I knew you'd be impressed w/the depth that the live performances add to the CD.

I'm kind of concerned about the setlist....too short! No Winter Song or Look Into the Night like last time, just to mame a couple. No encore. Maybe they were under time pressure.

That song you wonder about is called "Big Old Sign", a Creekdipper tune from days past.

Great review. Thank you:cool:

Flickr.com site is great, easy and free for posting pics....and they let ya post lots and lots and lots o' them

jacieb
01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
What a nice review. I was also at the show and loved it.

The first song was "Big Old Sign", off of Zola and the tulip tree.

Aack!! You were there? I swear, fanpagers should have to wear beanies to these things or something so that we can easily pick each other out!

Glad you liked the show, and thanks for the name of the song!

wheelhousetunes
01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the review!

I also hope that his set is a little longer for the rest of the tour (at least Seattle!!). :D

flowers12
01-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks a lot jacieb.
You can hear again this song here
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xp3ooXdCug&feature=related

It's one of my favourite songs and they are playing very well! Their music is as if it were given them... from above!
hugs

Chaosdan
02-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Heh, that's a GREAT review jacieb! Did you keep glancing at Mark's mum (as we Brits say) while he was playing to see if she looked suitably proud?

Haggischomper
02-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Mark's mother!!?!?!? That's funny stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it so much, JacieB.

I would echo Kim's comments about Flickr. REAL easy to join and upload, free (up to 100 pix anyway I think) with the added SPECIAL BONUS of a Jayhwaks group. :)

BluesisBlood
02-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Mark was in Portland last night, and though I couldn't make the show, I caught his in store performance at Music Millenium. Mark and the band sounded great--they played My Carol, Tears from Above and Over My Shoulder.

Got a chance to speak with him as he was sifting through the vinyl catalog at the store. Looked like he was buying a Fred Neil record. Cool guy.

Keep your fingers crossed for some good weather across Montana this weekend--Mark is a little worried about making the drive to Minny for the gig on Sunday.

wheelhousetunes
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
That sucks he's driving to MN from WA. The mountain passes are having their worst blizzards in 60 years and they keep shutting down the highway due to avalanches.

I see him tonight and will wish him luck. He may be able to sneak through during an open time. It'll still be nasty driving.

I really hope for a good turnout tonight to make it worth his while!

flowers12
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok, wheelhousetunes, we can't wait for your review and maybe some pics, tomorrow!
Thank you sooo much!

wheelhousetunes
02-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Another stellar show put on by Mark and co. last night!!

I was somewhat entertained by Mary Gunthier to open, but that was all forgotten seeing how her fans acted after her set. They all got up and either left or went to the back of the venue where they proceeded to talk loudly and mostly ignore Mark's set. Whereas you could've heard a pin drop while she was performing. It totally blows my mind how anyone cannot be aware of the quality of Mark's songs and why these shows aren't packed houses. But there are a lot of injustices in this world...:o I thought Mark totally blew her away.

It was a seated show and sadly only about 1/2 full. We were able to move up to the very front after the first 5 or 6 songs. The 3 all seemed to be in good spirits and having fun.

Anyway, Mark took the stage pretty much right after the opener's elongated set and they seemed somewhat rushed. The first 4 songs were pretty much right after each other with no talk or break inbetween. They kept with pretty much the same songs they've been playing which was fine with me. I could hear them over and again live. The three have a really good dynamic. Not much banter other than Mark commenting that they'd be driving to MN in the morning and if anyone had any pass traveling advice. He introduced the band and later Michele made 'an announcement' that they'd be selling the Salvation Blues cd after the show. I picked up another copy for my friend Janet who I was at the show with, had Mark sign it and wished him good luck on his long drive to MN. He's always a real gracious guy.

Here's the setlist (from memory, so it may be a song or two out of order or off):

Winter Song
Over My Shoulder
Poor Micheal's Boat
Blue
Salvation Blues
Sister Cry
National Express
Sandy Denny
My Carol
Hummingbird
Big Old Sign
Clifton Bridge
Still Have A Friend In You

Sorry, no pics.

jacieb
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Man! You got 3 more songs than I did.

Mary's fan's did the same thing in SD, and his mom even made a comment about it when everyone was out getting their CDs signed. ("I hope they're coming back"). Many did, but many left. I sort of wish she'd held off signing CDs until Mark's set because I would have loved to buy one and get it signed, but both she and her CDs were gone by the time we got to see Mark.

Glad you had a good time. I'll be thinking about them on that drive!!

flowers12
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Another stellar show put on by Mark and co. last night!!.

Thanks a lot for your review! Really nice!

Here's the setlist (from memory, so it may be a song or two out of order or off)
Winter Song
Over My Shoulder
Poor Micheal's Boat
Blue
Salvation Blues
Sister Cry
National Express
Sandy Denny
My Carol
Hummingbird
Big Old Sign
Clifton Bridge
Still Have A Friend In You

All my favourites songs! And I know how they play, I feel in heaven when they are playing!
I hope they have a good trip...

true-k
02-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Priceless, that you met Mark's mom.....

Touring is really hard, it must be special when family can be there to see your work.