PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page just freaked me out.....

GIBSONSG
12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I opened my mailbox just a while ago and see that Mr Zoso has gone
completely grey !! Don't know why really, but it sort of shocked me.
God Bless him for accepting his fate though ! ( Unlike Sir Paul who obviously sees his colorist on a weekly basis :p )

BoogieMan
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I think Jimmy sees his colorist every week too! Doesn't change much though, he still looks like an old asian woman

cohenmpls
12-06-2007, 06:03 PM
The thing that freaked me out was that Led Zeppelin was on the cover of Rolling Stone,
in a current picture.

I'm all for this reunion thing-y. Sounds like Page is really taking the time to prepare and be on his game.

JoMama
12-06-2007, 06:03 PM
God Bless him for accepting his fate though ! ( Unlike Pillow Pants, who obviously sees his colorist on a weekly basis :p )

I was figuring the Plant/Krauss album cover favored black and white for a similar reason. I thought 'ol Robert looked ancient enough that he shouldn't be messing with this young lady and doing, instead, a record with Emmylou Harris. Now would that be cool?!:cool:

The thing that freaked me out was that Led Zeppelin was on the cover of Rolling Stone,
in a current picture.

I'm all for this reunion thing-y. Sounds like Page is really taking the time to prepare and be on his game.

He 'busted a finger' they say, thus delaying the benefit concert that was supposed to be last week. Has it happened yet?
Anyone?

on the beach 3
12-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Not only gray, but the so conservative parted on the side flop over look. Good for you Jimmy, and btw, when they hit the states with the new record and tour, i'm 17 all over again.........ZEP RULES......:eek:

Peace and Boat Drinks.......

cohenmpls
12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
He 'busted a finger' they say, thus delaying the benefit concert that was supposed to be last week. Has it happened yet?
Anyone?

Dec. 10th. Monday

JayB
12-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking Jimmy's been colouring his hair for decades and that he has simply given up now.

JoMama
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
btw, when they hit the states with the new record and tour, i'm 17 all over again.........ZEP RULES......:eek:

Yeah baby! I'm sick of seeing Dread Zeppelin with Tortelvis and thinking to myself "if only..."[sigh]
hey baby, how many pennies in that stack you're counting?

Haggischomper
12-06-2007, 07:26 PM
For God's sake, I keep telling y'all it's silver, not grey! :p

Pagey has actually been that colour for quite while now - he looked the same in the pics from the bootleg court battle he had last year or earlier this year.

on the beach 3
12-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah baby! I'm sick of seeing Dread Zeppelin with Tortelvis and thinking to myself "if only..."[sigh]

No amount of pennies is keeping me away from The Zep:)

NY Fan
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
If they come here, I'm paying any amount to see them.

All the interviews indicate that Pagey is really taking this seriously.

In Guitar Player, he says it will be nothing like their other live performances since the breakup (Live Aid, etc).

He even wonders out loud if he should play some solos (i.e., Stairway) note for note with the recordings because skeptics always claimed he couldn't reproduce them live!...

JoMama
12-06-2007, 09:46 PM
For God's sake, I keep telling y'all it's silver, not grey! :p

Pagey has actually been that colour for quite while now - he looked the same in the pics from the bootleg court battle he had last year or earlier this year.

Oh, geesh, I thought that was Emmylou Harris next to Planty on the cover of the Rolling Stone...:rolleyes:

Hey, good for him he's taking the gee-tar seriously. Who cares is 'Stairway' is note-for-note. I'm sure it'll be fine no matter how he slices through it.

As for my 'how many pennies' comment, it's just myself cringing at the likely cost of ticky's to this Zep tour...
I may have to have someone phone it in, if ya know what I mean...:o

Melody Blues
12-07-2007, 04:55 AM
I don't know why people dye their hair, I think it looks quite cool when a few silver hairs start coming through.

Thing is with Page, he seems to be turning in to that physicist you see on tv that talks about time.

NY Fan
12-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey, good for him he's taking the gee-tar seriously. Who cares is 'Stairway' is note-for-note. I'm sure it'll be fine no matter how he slices through it.

I'm with you, but on the reunion shows over the years he has variously been a.) out of tune, b.) missing massive amounts of tone (leave the Strat home, JP), and/or c.) sloppy on the fretboard.

Now, all of us know that even in the day, he was sloppy at times both live and on record (Hot Dog, anyone), but that was a GOOD sloppy.

The reunion shows were, to me, out of practice sloppy. Or I-don't-care sloppy.

My point was, if he's serious, I don't think we'll get that this time.

Plus, I hear he renegotiated the sale of his soul to Satan, kind of like when you remortgage your house? So he's got that goin' for him. Which is nice.

axeeugene
12-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I think I'm 100% done with ARENA SHOWS! YEAH BABY! PLAY SOMETHING I CAN SHAKE MY ASS TO! OOH! THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG! GOT ANY BUD?

I don't even think I would go to see a reunited Pink Floyd at this stage. Zep might be cool, but I can't imagine the carnage. First the $200 tickets, then the $45 TicketASSHOLE charges, and then the stoners, the talkers, the morons, and the parking. Sheesh. I think I'll stick to First Ave and the 400.

JoMama
12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Plus, I hear he renegotiated the sale of his soul to Satan, kind of like when you remortgage your house? So he's got that goin' for him. Which is nice.

Yeah, that Satan fella, he's kind of under-rated and under-appreciated as a player in this business ain't he? Or is Satan a she?

ChiefCrowe
12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
you know, i doubt you'd be able to resist at least one reunited Floyd gig!

I think I'm 100% done with ARENA SHOWS! YEAH BABY! PLAY SOMETHING I CAN SHAKE MY ASS TO! OOH! THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG! GOT ANY BUD?

I don't even think I would go to see a reunited Pink Floyd at this stage. Zep might be cool, but I can't imagine the carnage. First the $200 tickets, then the $45 TicketASSHOLE charges, and then the stoners, the talkers, the morons, and the parking. Sheesh. I think I'll stick to First Ave and the 400.

JayB
12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
you know, i doubt you'd be able to resist at least one reunited Floyd gig!

I really could.

on the beach 3
12-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Having been fortunate enough to grow up in the greatest musical era of all time I can appreciate your " if only " setiment, I have so many great Zep memories from the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood including seeing them four nights in six on the fabled Houses of The Holy tour. I am praying that Jason goes with dad's four piece Ludwig power set up and throws out the signature triplets like only his daddy could do, In my humble opinion, no one is close to Bonzo as a power rock drummer.

girl incognito1
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
LOL I recently saw that cover too and it shocked me too!!!! Mr. Page has the same hair color as my dad...stark white!!!!! :eek: :p ;)

JoMama
12-07-2007, 04:46 PM
LOL I recently saw that cover too and it shocked me too!!!! Mr. Page has the same hair color as my dad...stark white!!!!! :eek: :p ;)

I'll take this one Haggis:

It's not white, its bright SILVER!!!!:eek:

philipgar
12-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I agree, arena shows aren't half the fun of small shows in little clubs or bars. The large shows just tend to be lacking. Over the summer, I saw Lucinda Williams (who isn't exactly playing huge theaters) in Seattle, and it just wasn't the same. I was toward the back of a large theater, and could barely see her down on the stage. The music sounded great, but it just didn't feel right. I didn't feel like I was at a real live show.

Outside shows are somewhat better, as you can be further away and still enjoy it, but it's just not the same. Last week I saw the THIS is American music revue (the Drams, Grand Champeen, Glossary, and two cow garage) playing Milwaukee, and that was the type of show that is just awesome. I think the door was $8, ticketmaster is unheard of for an event like this, the beer was moderately priced (whatever the bar normally charged on a Friday night), and I was right there. The stage was directly in front of me, you could see everything clearly, the sound was good, and the bands were rocking out.

I don't think any arena rock shows can match that feeling, the intimacy of the bar shows. Even club shows aren't quite the same, but they can still be great. But jumping up to a larger venue and it no longer feels personal. There becomes a huge disconnect between the fans in the crowd and the band on stage. No amount of fireworks, or guitar solos can make up for that. Plus at the larger shows you know half the people are there because it's the "cool" thing to do or whatever. I don't need to deal with that.

of course, that being said, there are a number of bands that, if they decided to tour close by, I'd have to seriously consider spending the money on tickets. Which brings up a side gripe.... How come as the venue sizes get smaller, the ticket prices decrease. You'd think the band playing to 100 fans in a bar would charge more than a band playing in front of a thousand fans, or 30,000. Yet, as the venues get bigger, the tickets cost more and more. It's really pretty ridiculous how the system works, and always makes me feel bad for the small bands (which is why I try to always buy shirts or posters from bands I like, at least that way they may earn some money).

Phil

girl incognito1
12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll take this one Haggis:

It's not white, its bright SILVER!!!!:eek:

OK Silver!!!! ;) :D :cool:

JoMama
12-07-2007, 11:21 PM

axe, I want so badly to disagree but your comment is so dead fucking ON and so funny I can't bring myself to defend the big shows.

In their defense, though, I would say that Pink Floyd's music, to me, is some of the most ageless of all the big guys out there. They could go out and perform 'Dark Side' and 'Meddle' and such ten years from NOW and still pull it off. They somehow left out the teeny-bopper portion of so-called 'rock and roll' and made dreamy modern soundscapes that are pure craft.
When they send out sound technicians to figure out how to mix each particular stadium on a tour in advance of the show, you can believe you're going to get that rare thing: An arena show done the right way.
Sure, you may not see them very well, but you'll get your money's worth up in the nosebleed sections. At least, that's my impression from their Ames show, yeah, about 10 years ago. I was way up at the top of one side when they started playing the Dark Side suite, and the moon had been waning 2 days from full, just hanging up there behind some clouds, which, oddly moved off the moon just as the 2nd set was beginning. The sounds that start off 'Money' seemed to come from every direction. How they made that happen way up in the top of Cyclone stadium is beyond me.
And of course, their humorous decision to play 'Run Like Hell' for the final encore had me guffawing all the way through the 'Dudes, where did we park?' phase....
Neil Young blasting 18-minute songs with Crazy Horse on the 'Broken Arrow' tour was yet another stadium gem--this one inside the Target Center. I was up in the balcony, almost straight out from the stage and the sound wasn't muddy at all. Well, not any muddier than Neil's guitar crunch was intended to be...

But dude, that notion of stadium rock from back in that era is pretty damn funny. I dunno, I'd take my teen to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in a big place. I'd skip Kid Rock though

Haggischomper
12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Led Gig (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7135200.stm)

THE SET LIST
Good Times Bad Times

Ramble On

Black Dog

In My Time Of Dying

For Your Life

Trampled Underfoot

Nobody's Fault

No Quarter

Since I've Been Loving You

Dazed And Confused

Stairway To Heaven

The Song Remains The Same

Misty Mountain Hop

Kashmir

Whole Lotta Love

Rock'n'Roll

Calexico
12-11-2007, 05:55 AM
Saw a bit of it on Sky News last night, looked great. The crowd sang to every word including the instrumental breaks.:)

Haggischomper
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Just saw a clip from the start of In My Time Of Dying. Good grief. I'd happily kill to get a ticket to hear them play that live. I hope they reform and tour again - right after a Krause/Planty theatre tour. :p

JoMama
12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Just saw a clip from the start of In My Time Of Dying. Good grief. I'd happily kill to get a ticket to hear them play that live. I hope they reform and tour again - right after a Krause/Planty theatre tour. :p

+1

Please happily kill greekguy for calling me a troll. Then I'll buy you a ticket.
You have to kill happily though, so watch some Tarantino flicks or something before you set off to do your deed...

I'd love to hear 'Down By The Seaside', one track I've always enjoyed the guitar sounds in, for whatever reason even though it's not their greatest moment...

on the beach 3
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Start planning your Zep tail gates, they're coming over the pond ! and new music to boot, giddy-up.

axeeugene
12-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Please happily kill greekguy for calling me a troll.

Umm...greekguy has a job to do first, so please refrain until he's had his little visit to Eire, Haggis. KTHXBYE!

illbecominhome
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I gotta say that I'm getting pretty excited with the possibility of these old men (:p) touring for a little while.

JoMama
12-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Yeah me too...
We can change the name of this thread to "Jimmy Page just freaked out my wallet!" :eek:

NY Fan
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
This was a frigging stunning show. I've heard about 80% of it now, and I'm in shock.

It isn't perfect, and any set list left someone's favorites out, and it isn't 1973 anymore... but holy sh!t.

Plant and (especially) Page both sounded better than anyone had a right to expect.

Jason Bonham did his old man proud for sure.

This can't come out on DVD fast enough.

They can't come to the Garden fast enough.

W o w .

kmweiss
12-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Guy in my office flew to London for the show and said that it was easily the best show that he has ever seen. He said that Plant sounded great and that Bonham was a monster --- had video of him up on the big screen in the background so he was easy to see.

I just love that they did Since I've Been Loving You and then followed that with Dazed and Confused. And opening with Good Times Bad Times....that's just kick ass!! :)

Haggischomper
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
We can change the name of this thread to "Jimmy Page just freaked out my wallet!" :eek:

Honestly, I saw Page/Plant a few times live and they really weren't THAT expensive. I think Mr Plant tries to stay on top of that kinda thing as much as possible and not charge exorbitant amounts purely for the sake of knowing folks would pay an exorbitant amount.

I'm also a little taken aback at how surprised folks are at how good it sounded. Those Page/Plant tours were pretty damned good.

Haggischomper
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
followed that with Dazed and Confused.

I love D & C as a song but the live behemoth is just snoresville - as soon as Pagey takes out that damned violin bow fans should rush the stage and shove it somewhere it is difficult for him to get to. It's 100% unadulterated rock dinosaurism of the worst kind.

Haggischomper
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
And, NO, I haven't mastered the art of multi-quoting yet! :p

JoMama
12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
And, NO, I haven't mastered the art of multi-quoting yet! :p

It's easy, just copy paste what comes up in the reply box, then go back out without posting the reply, paste in into the next reply box to a quote you want to add, then copy them together, ad infinitum. Then you can retain the title of pinhead, ACE...

As for the thread comments, it's nice to hear Planty's looking out for the working man out there. We're bullied by those with money to burn for just about everything these days.... But just how will he be able to tackle the behemoth that is American Greed with the tight ticket security they used for this show?
It ain't gonna be pretty, but if it means I can afford to see what you guys are raving about, then I'll do the Boot Scootin' boogie on down to the TicketGangster site and plunk down my plastic.
I hope this show arrives on YouTube soon, but it sounds like the Zep lawyers are a tough bunch...
Where's William Shatner when you need him?