PDA

View Full Version : Bon Iver

Truscott
11-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I saw Elvis Perkins at the Horseshoe Tavern on Wednesday. It was a good show. His band is quite talented.

True-k managed to come by for the last few songs. So a good time was had by all.

The opener was better than I had expected. He goes by the moniker Bon Iver (an intentionally misspelled French phrase meaning "good winter").

Anyhow, he likes to sing in falsetto a lot, but is quite expressive and not a bad guitarist to boot. His first solo album is coming out in February. In the mean time, it's available on his site: http://www.virb.com/boniver

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm digging it. If you like mellow, sometimes moody music, you might like him. "Skinny Love" is possibly the most accessible song. The arrangements are all fairly stripped down, but he's not afraid to use effects.

I'm attaching a photo from his solo performance. The lighting was pretty lousy that night (as it usually is at the 'Shoe), so I didn't get many worthwhile photos, but there's more on my flickr page if anyone is interested.

Calexico
12-01-2007, 03:04 AM
I like the Perkins album a whole lot. Some good stuff on that.