PDA

View Full Version : New DBT album...

Chaosdan
11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
On the Drive-by Truckers site the cover art to the album has been revealed, plus a song-by-song write-up of all 19(!!) songs...

http://www.drivebytruckers.com/writeup_btcd.html

Roll on January... new Marah and DBT albums in the space of two weeks!!

David Farrel
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I just read through the song by song and what i always love about the dbt, the jayhawks, in fact most bands i admire is that when you read or listen to what they wrote, be it a song or a letter, you always, always have to get to the end and you always want more. I can't wait for the album.

TheBowmanBody
11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I am looking forward to this album very much. The DBTs are one of the few good bands left who aren't from the old guard.

Calexico
11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I hope this is better than the last one. Cooley needs more exposure. Still a great band though.

TheBowmanBody
11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I hope this is better than the last one. Cooley needs more exposure. Still a great band though.

Cooley gets 7 songs out of the 19 on the album. As far as the last record goes, I think "Gravity's Gone" by Cooley is their best song ever.

Calexico
11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Space City is my favourite from that album. Makes me tear up every damn time.

Pillow Pants
11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Space City is the best song on their last one.

Melody Blues
11-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Space City is the best song on their last one.

Jeez, make your mind up! An hour ago you said it was Gravity's Gone.

TheBowmanBody
11-15-2007, 03:50 PM

There you go again, implying I have dual identities on the board. Not true, dummy.:eek:

JoMama
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM

When you get mad at trolls, you lose.

The DBT album, on the other hand is where we meet and agree; where we share some enjoyment of music. This website isn't for Right Wing Not-See's or Left Wing Whiners, it's for people who like the Jayhawks and general discussion, so let's keep it on the good foot, folks.

Chaosdan
11-16-2007, 02:18 AM
I love the last Truckers album... prefer it to Decoration Day in fact. It's concise, packed with great tunes and it rocks! I'm always surprised that some people don't rate it highly... I think it's right up there. Hopefully this new one will make everyone happy...

Pillow Pants
11-16-2007, 05:50 PM

N-o-t s-a-m-e p-o-s-t-e-r

Live it, love it, learn it.

Chaosdan
01-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Listening to the new DBT for the second time...good good stuff. At first I really missed Isbell's songs and voice in there, but Shonna steps up and contributes two or three great songs, and Isbell's departure seems to have really focused Cooley and Hood's songwriting. Like South Rock Opera and Dirty South, it's long and sprawling with a good range of styles... I think those who were disappointed by the last album will really like this.

JayB
01-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Whenever I read DBT I read DTB... I got all excited at the thought of a new Derek Trucks Band album... heyho.

David Farrel
01-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Listening to the new DBT for the second time...good good stuff. At first I really missed Isbell's songs and voice in there, but Shonna steps up and contributes two or three great songs, and Isbell's departure seems to have really focused Cooley and Hood's songwriting. Like South Rock Opera and Dirty South, it's long and sprawling with a good range of styles... I think those who were disappointed by the last album will really like this.

Fess up Dan, how did you get hold of it early? I've been looking everywhere - it's not streaming anywhere is it?

Chaosdan
01-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Fess up Dan, how did you get hold of it early? I've been looking everywhere - it's not streaming anywhere is it?

Check yer PMs...

Calexico
01-03-2008, 06:45 AM
I still think it's too damn long. There is some great stuff on there but it feels very disjointed to me and difficult to get into a swing with it. I still chuckle at the lyrics to Bob though.

TheBowmanBody
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM

That wasn't me, numbnuts.:)

Chaosdan
01-03-2008, 03:16 PM
That wasn't me, numbnuts

Nice way to start the new year Bowman... replying to a two-month-old post with an insult... :rolleyes:

Haggischomper
01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Nice way to start the new year Bowman... replying to a two-month-old post with an insult... :rolleyes:
And two months after he first replied to teh same response...

Angelyne
01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Does everyone like the Shona songs? I heard one on their myspace page and it wasn't bad. I thought she'd sound a bit different.

Chaosdan
01-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Does everyone like the Shona songs? I heard one on their myspace page and it wasn't bad. I thought she'd sound a bit different.

They're really good, I especially like 'The Purgatory Line'. It's also cool she gets so much harmony vocals on this album. I think the whole record is more of a grower than the last few... it's less rockin' and more introspective, but i'm loving it so far...

jcarlile
01-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I read somewhere that the first song titled "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" was inspired by the tragic death of Bryan Harvey and his family back on new years day of 2005.

I'm sure that most of you remember that terrible incident. If not,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Harvey_(musician)

It's a beautiful song too and a nice tribute from Patterson.

Truscott
01-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Too bad the vinyl version isn't available for the pre-order...

It will be sweet.